Re: Gas cooker point

Well "should" in law is different in meaning to "must".
Cross-posted to uk.d-i-y because there are actual gas safe people there :-)

Well "should" in law is different in meaning to "must".
Cross-posted to uk.d-i-y because there are actual gas safe people there :-)
I am not a lawyer so I do not know. In any event it does not help me although your cross posting is a good idea - thank you.
Bobby
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 16:17:01 -0700, js.b1 wrote:

You'd probably find chapter and verse in the appropriate British Standard, which I'll look up for you if you'll just supply me with your valid Credit Card details ;-)
My older (3rd) edition of the installers' "Essential Gas Safety" manual (the current copy lives in the van) says that the hose should be looped downwards and under no stress. This would imply that the bayonet outlet must face down. and that the bayonet should be positioned such that the hose can hang in such a loop when the cooker is in its normal position.
--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down

Thank you for that. I am going to have another chat with the second, local Gas Safe Man about the matter and get him to install the cooker.
Bobby
From viper... - Historic - gas supply point 500-600mm from the floor... 50-150mm from the RHS - Current - standards suggest 750mm with no guidance L or R - Bayonet fitting - example diagram show a downwards pointing wall fitting
Such that the hose can hang free, without being stressed, below any oven flue outlet, and permit the cooker to be moved forward to enable disconnection of a bayonet fitting.
I suspect 750mm has been chosen to reduce the risk of someone tipping a cooker over trying to reach down, stability bracket &/or chain not withstanding. I grew up with an old cast iron cannon, so heavy it was hilarious, miserable insulation, and pilots leaked like a pig such that the HSE would have put it on a military test range and blown it up.
Go with a local fitter so you have an easy single point of responsibility.
js.b1 wrote:

I'm not GasSafe (I might or might not be gas safe) but I believe a bayonet elbow is supposed to point down. The idea is that if the hose becomes disconnected it will fall out, and the spring-loaded valve in the elbow will close. Otherwise, the hose fitting could disconnect sufficiently to be no longer sealed, but remain sitting in place with its central prong still holding the valve open, creating a leak.
Pete
On 15 Oct,

If it's a sensible design, the central prong should disengage /before/ the seal breaks.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

It's true that it *should*, but not having played with one recently I can't remember if it actually is made that way or not. Since it's a standard connection it's not trivial to introduce an improved version, so I wouldn't be amazed to find that it doesn't have the failsafe you describe.
Pete
message

That would be a pretty stupid design assumption.. the hoses are so stiff they probably wouldn't fall out anyway. You would have to have it 6 foot up the wall and hanging down to get it to fall out. I would think the reason you have it pointing down is to stop dirt falling in it.