Re: Flood Damage

We've just suffered some flood damage - flash flooding following heavy rain

> on Friday morning. Water rose over our door level and came into the ground > floor, wetting some carpets. The water receded within half and hour and we > mopped up as best we could, but we did not take up the carpets (they are > fitted) although we dried them using a professional vacuum similar to the > carpet shampoo types, so they were touch-dry on the surface. > > The floor is solid, probably concrete over stone, in a 200 year old stone > cottage (not a listed building). There has never been a damp course and we > have never suffered from damp. > > The plaster walls (emulsioned) are now visibly damp up to 12" from the > floor (the water never rose above the carpet pile). I am expecting the > insurers to visit on Monday; should I argue that the plaster needs to be > replaced? If so, on what basis or precedent? > > As for the carpets, there is now a horrible smell starting and I am trying > to let the air in as best as I can. I am also using our steam cleaner in > the hope of killing or slowing the growth of any fungus or mould. I'd be > glad of any advice. > > I am fully insured all-risks (including flood) and new-for-old. Can anyone > give me any tips as to how to handle this? Many thanks. > > David > >

A flood is horrible to go through and even worse to mop up after. Definitely lift all the carpets because they'll be holding bacteria that was washed in by the water and are now a health hazard, hence the foul smell as the first warning of this. Also check that the floor shows no signs of heave (rising) or subsidence (dropping), then give the whole thing time to dry out before putting anything back.

Water damage can take weeks to show itself, so get ready for a wait before making everything good again. This might be a chance for you and your insurer to do something to prevent any reoccurrence.

Reply to
BigWallop

I've been flooded several times; you have my deepest sympathy.

I agree with everything Big Wallop says and would like to add:

Open your door and windows as much as possible, without plenty of ventilation blowers and heaters only move the water round the house.

You don't mention skirting boards but most houses have them. If, as you say, the plaster is wet then the unpainted back of the skirting will be wet which will mke it bend and crack. The nails will rust, swell and discolour the paint. This may take months to reveal the full extent of the problem. I took the advice to have the walls replastered up to waist height and fitted new skirting boards. Itook the oportunity to fit lots of new electric sockets.

Where did the water come from? Was it run off from nearby fields or roads, did a ditch or stream overflow or, worst of all, an overflowing sewer?

What has your local authority said and done about the problem? Tell them what you want done; keep pushing them. When I asked my local councillor about my flooding problem he said he could do nothing and suggested writing to the local newspaper. He was also Chairman of the District Council so probably knew what he was talking about. A television camera quickly persuades a local authority of the wisdom of your argument. Make notes of what the council's officers tell you and make it clear that you are doing so, ask them their names.

Ask your neighbours whether it has happened before.

Don't be tempted/persuaded to settle too quickly with your insurance company.

Reply to
John Flax

John, and Big Wallop -

Thanks, both of you, for your useful replies.

David

Reply to
David