Re-Fit Radiator

Hi all

The kichen saga continues.. The kitchen radiator was long since removed, to give access for wiring chases etc. It was moved to the garage probably 4-6 months ago. Although the inlet/outlet ports were covered, it is likely that some rust has formed inside the rad.

Due to slow progress and the likelihood of colder weather, I am considering re-fitting the rad to take the chill off. This would also allow testing of the new feed piping I am working on for a kick space heater.

So, is there anything that can be done to "rinse out any rust" from the radiator before re-fitting? It is not an old tatty thing - moderish stelrad type bog-standard item.

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

In message , TheScullster writes

Assuming your cold water pressure is reasonable, connect a hosepipe to each port (alternately, and several times), and give it a good blasting until the emerging water is clear?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

In message , Ian Jackson writes

Thinking about it further, I believe that various 'colas' contain phosphoric acid - the active ingredient in de-rusting materials like 'Kurerust'. They can be used to remove surface contamination and corrosion from metals. You might like to experiment with a piece of rusty metal.

If it works, to really get rid of all the internal surface rust, you could try filling the radiator with a bottle of cola. Make sure you use the 'Real Thing'! ;o))

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Plug one end, stand on that end, fill with cheap cola and leave for a weekend, the phosphoric acid in it will dissolve the rust and passivate the inside surface with iron phosphate in its place? Then rinse until the kids can't drink any more... ;)

Dave H

Reply to
Dave H.

Are you supposed to publish the recipe for irn bru? ;-)

Reply to
PJ

"Dave H." wrote

Sounds interesting, but what effect/reaction does any residual Cola or iron phosphate have with system inhibitors etc.?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster