Re: Choosing retailer for mimimum complaints

And "DeadMangledPigeon" was like:

DeadMangledPigeon.

Reply to
Patrick Hardlentil

How long ago was that?

Reply to
J G Miller

If its a retail pack its legal as they are transferable. If its a cheap OEM pack it is not legal to transfer it.

Reply to
dennis

So MS claim; the actual legal status and/or enforcability of that claim is not at all certain.

Reply to
August West

Personally I wonder why anyone cares. I installed a genuine copy of Windows 7, and then ran a crack which took 30 seconds (WGARemove I think it was called), and it now runs fine without any activation. I also have Office 2010, again cracked in minutes. Same with Adobe CS5, which I don't even think required me to patch it. And my firewall (Eset) I have working on a "deny all except what I expressly allow" basis, which keeps all this software from calling home and deactivating itself.

Reply to
Ste

April 2002.

Was quickly sorted out by my bank once the details of the fraud came to light, and I had reported it to the Police. It seems after that, the banks sorted Dabs out by disallowing them to carry on handling debit card transactions.

Of course back then, Dabs's publicity span it around the other way, and blamed fraud being done to them from some customers ...

It's a very different company today since the BT takeover. Been a while since I've ordered IT stuff from them but no problems when doing so.

Lesson learned though NEVER to use a debit card online with anyone!

Reply to
Adrian C

In message , Cynic writes

I thought that there was always the option to "downgrade"

I think that a vista key is good for XP too

Reply to
geoff

In message , james writes

geoff

Downgrading rarely works as half the hardware won't have a driver ;-( I hate Vista - what a poxy search engine.

Reply to
Paul

Me too. We have two in the town, which keeps them competitive. I tend to divide purchases between them in hopes they both stay in business.

Prices may be higher than the box-shifters but the cost can be significantly less in terms of information and after-sales.

Reply to
Albert Ross

What are you talking about ?

I'm saying that you can install XP in preference to Vista

Reply to
geoff

Not if the new fandango laptop you just bought came with Vista on it, and you hate Vista...

Try taking Vista off - ie reformat, and putting XP on it...no XP drivers exist as the hardware was built AFTER XP ....why would they write a driver for some old software. Thats downgrading - trying to go back one OP system..

Reply to
Paul

Do not go back to XP. Go forward to Windows 7. Unlike Vista, Win 7 is an unmitigated improvement over Windows XP.

Reply to
Ste

I bought a laptop in March last year. It came with Vista pre-installed and also XP discs. I simply installed XP.

Reply to
charles

The laptop might not have enough memory to run W7.

Reply to
charles

If it will run Vista then it will run W7. In fact, if it will run XP, then it will run W7. W7 is actually capable of running on a lower spec than Vista, because it's been modularised much more effectively so that the essentials are all that it requires in order to run. The high end stuff, such as the Areo desktop (which is mostly just eye-candy anyway) won't run on lower-spec machines, but in that case you get an OS which is visually much the same as XP but a lot more secure and efficient underneath.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

Not sure about that. When W7 came out, I ran a piece of Windows software which told me my desktop machine (using XP) was not suitable to upgrade because of lack of memory. Totally irrelevant now, since that machine died earlier this year and I now have a W7 desktop in its place.

Reply to
charles

If it has enough memory to run Vista, it will have enough memory to run Windows 7 faster. That's what I found when I upgraded mine.

And there's nothing to stop you adding more memory as well.

..or Ubuntu as a second system. You'll find that will run even faster.

Rod.

Reply to
Roderick Stewart

I know a few who have, and didn't experience any problems

Is your experience different ?

Reply to
geoff

Mazumamobile would probably offer them =A335 for it. :)

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X