Re: Boilers at B and Q

I bought the ravenheat boiler from B&Q in Feb this year. I had already replaced my radiators so I did not go for the pack option (but it is a very good deal;). I installed the boiler myself (no, I'm NOT Corgi registered and NO the law does not require me to be Corgi registered to install a boiler in my own property). The fitting was simple and the improvements were instant and amazing. Cautionary tale: After 4 weeks, the boiler stopped working. I contacted B&Q and said that I would take a replacement boiler rather than have my money back. They came up with all kinds of shit, saying that because I had fitted the boiler myself blah blah. Up shot is I now have 5 years parts and labour service from Ravenheat (they ended up comming out to identify the breakdown and went straight to replacing the main fan, this suggests that its a common problem) and I got compensation from B&Q for the actions of an idiot of a manager (so push them hard) B&Q prices are great (they are in a bad state in retail sales) and the Ravenheat boiler works fine (but as a company I think they stink). I saved substantial sums of money doing it myself against quoted prices from the sharks that swim in the sea they call "plumbers" Do it!!
I'm looking to upgrade my old boiler to a condensing combi and replace 10 radiators. I've had a number of plumbers in giving me quotes, one as high as 4500. One however told me to go to B and Q and pick up a Ravenheat boiler pack - 87,000 BTU 11 litres per second, complete with 7 radiators ( and thermostatic valves ). Factor in the extra three rads I need and the 10% OAP discount, it seems I can get the whole lot for pretty much bang on a grand.
Does any one have experience of these packs. The price seems great, but what of the quality. I haven't heard Ravenheat.
Keith D wrote:

You're very lucky IMO. If I was B&Q I wouldn't have offered a replacement either. The usual practice is to contact the manufacturer and they will send an engineer out to rectify the fault, if they can't solve it on the phone. Why go through the hassle of removing the boiler and installing another when you can sit back and let the manufacturers sort it?
On 1 May 2006 08:57:09 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

What is "usual practice"?
He bought an item from a retail store that was defective. The manufacturer could have denied any responsibility, because they didn't sell him the boiler directly.
His recourse in law is with B&Q, not the manufacturer.
He followed the normal practice for a consumer purchase and was rejected by the vendor, which is against the consumer law in this country.
EricP wrote:

That's hardly likely.

Fine, if you want to waste your time.

On 1 May 2006 09:31:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You don't have the faintest idea about Sale of Good Acts and such do you! :))
Never mind, I don't have time to play with you. Bye. :))
EricP wrote:

This isn't alt.uk.law or about the semantics of the sale of goods act. This is about installing a boiler, problems and the REAL world, something you obviously have no idea about.
In your world a problem with a self installed boiler is the same as a faulty power drill.
I never said B&Q didn't bear responsibility for problems with the boiler, just that it was normal/better practice to contact the boiler manufacturer first and get it resolved.

No, you don't have an answer so you play the smug card with your smilies. Pat yourself on the back.