Re: Banks new requirement....

Only happened to me when I moved a large-ish amount of money out of an internet savings account to an online broker where I hold my share ISA. This was to fund an ordinary dealing account and I used the brokers system to load up the share account from my current account, but there is a limit of £25K per transaction. The 2nd tranche was blocked and I had to phone the banks fraud department and confirm that I still had the card and that that destination for sending money was valid.

Reply to
Andrew

Ironically, both our debit cards are Visa. :-)

My credit card is Mastercard.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

That's one of the reasons I have two credit cards. They are also on different payment systems, just in case either payment system goes t*ts up.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We do the same, also with our debit cards.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Indeed. So do I!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm odd in that I always pay cash for small purchases. I'd rather not carry a wallet unless I actually need it.

But have never had a touch payment refused. Used perhaps a couple of times a week, and always the same card.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Pulse is much better and much harder to fake with a chopped off finger.

Reply to
jon lopgel

I suspect it is partly spending patterns- not only what you buy but where.

Some years back, we were contacted by our CC company to ask about a transaction ( a booking I think). I wasn?t one of ours. They explained it had shown up as being unusual for our usage. They issued new cards etc and we heard no more about it. Nothing untoward ever appeared on our bill etc. At the time the card was often used to secure hotel bookings etc - in fact this was soon after one had been booked in the Channel Isles- how they determined the other booking was unusual heaven knows.

Reply to
Brian Reay

They've changed to face ID, mainly because the fingerprint sensor takes up screen space and face ID doesn?t.

Reply to
jon lopgel

This is a complete revelation to me. The machine asked to enter my pin in Waitrose today, and to avoid hassle I paid cash instead. The cashier then got the hassle of cancelling the transaction and inadvertently deleted one of my items, giving me the hassle of querying why the total was less then she said, giving her the hassle of correcting what she did.

Now I'm wondering if I will have to enter my pin somewhere before I can go back to using wireless.

Reply to
Dave W

they'll probably cancel your card

Reply to
charles

Until, perhaps, 2 or 3 years back some Card Companies asked you to contact them before foreign trips - one of ours had a web based facility to do it- which prevented overseas transactions triggering the system.

Gradually, at least for the cards we have, the requirement has been dropped- certainly for European trips.

As for the companies checking logic, shortly after the PIN system was introduced I had a problem buying petrol- I think the only time I?ve had a problem actually using a card. The usual phone call followed and the ?issue? was a ?sudden? increase in spending over the last few days. I asked the chap at the other end if he was married, then if he knew the post Xmas sales were in full swing. I then reminded him my wife had a card on the same account. And no, I hadn?t been with her as she?d be looking for shoes. With a chuckle, he apologised and cleared the transaction at hand.

Reply to
Brian Reay

It you use it for a normal ( over £30) purchase or in an ATM, it should reset. I can?t recall ever needing to input my PIN for a contactless use in the UK, other the first one.

Reply to
Brian Reay