RCD's - why 30mA?

planned obsoexcresence*? :-)

  • a way of making sure that one load of expensive useless crap has to be ditched in favour of another even more overhyped piece of steaming wombat turds.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I promised to post some pics of my home-made naim 250 tri-amp, so here they are...

Overall system ( building work at home, stuff not in usual location.. )

stack
view ( transistor cover fallen off! )
view, lid off: amp boards on left, regulators on right.
section:
view from PSU end:
panel detail:

Ron Lowe

Don't tell me I have to import wombat turd as well? I've gone right off this BluRay stuff now. :-)

It was so much easier with SCART. LOL

Reply to
BigWallop

Hey, don't diss 2N3055s! They were the cornerstone of many an ETI project! ( does ETI still exist? )

But you need to be very carefull making changes in the output stages of old audio amps. Substituting more modern devices with higher cutoff frequencies can cause the amp to go into high frequency oscillation, since the design of the HF rolloff filters in the NFB circuit would have been based around the characteristics of the original components.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Well, it could. There's no technical reason you can't send HD over a SCART RGB.

But there's no point, because content providers increasingly decree that analog HD must be disabled, and that you must go over HDMI which supports DHCP. They flag the content to prevent analog HD output.

So I can't see any mfr investing in HD-over-SCART, when it just won't work for much of the content.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

How is it connected? You can't get full HD without using either VGA or HDMI. Even component video is not true HD. SCART has no chance.

Also many HD ready TV sets are not HD, it was a marketing con.

Reply to
dennis

Er, I think you mean DRM - copy protection to you & me, Digital Rights Management to pointed haired corporate speaks.

ISTR reading recently that blu-ray copy protection had already been cracked.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I actually meant HDCP ( not DHCP! ) Which is a method of implimenting DRM. Specifically, on the link between the player and display.

It's an on-going battle. Slysoft's AnyDVD-HD has cracked the AACS protection. Blu-Ray retaliated with BD+. Slysoft cracked BD+. There's currently a new version of BD+ which Slysoft's developers claim will take a couple of months to crack.

Ron Lowe

So why enable it on Y Pb Pr?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

With respect, that's bollocks. Do you think pro HD monitors used in broadcast use only either of those?

Err, why?

Again, why?

Unfortunately there is no absolute definition of HD so anything better than 'standard' could qualify.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's only been enabled over component historically.

I think that analog option is going to dissapear in newer equipment.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

I'm sure it will - components were never that popular on European equipment anyway. And HDMI is the 21st century version of SCART, I suppose.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Because no one does proper HD over component. Its a bit better than standard but not as good as HDMI.

See above.

The only thing HD ready means is you have hdmi with hdcp and a display that can show a minimum of 720 lines. It doesn't mean you can actually display 1920 x 1080 pixels which is what you need for HD proper.

Reply to
dennis

More likely because they (the content providers) only want to output HD on something that they think can't easily be ripped...

Reply to
John Rumm

Now finally in this long thread we get to the point.

It's perfectly feasible to send HD content over something other than HDMI-with-HDCP. But the MPAA don't want it - they'll let the player shove SD out over something unprotected, but not HD - not 720 whether interlaced or not, nor (note the number Dave) 1080. (In fact, I'm doing as I type - the monitor I have here is 1920x1200, as many pixels across as full HD, and more vertically. A full HD picture fits quite nicely at the full resolution, with a half-inch black strip top and bottom).

If you don't have an HDMI connector, your player is not allowed, under the terms of the license (sic) they agreed to, to send out HD content. And AFAIK HDCP hasn't been cracked.

Of course, in a studio that's not an issue.

The main difference between HD-DVD and Blu-ray was BD+. The blu-ray guys worked out that James at Sly-soft and ... err... the other guys name escapes me, something Chinese - would be able to crack any protection with time. HD-DVD had barely hit the market when it's single layer of protection was cracked. BD+, on the other hand, can be updated, and is being updated. The player manufacturers are contracted to provide updates to fix any cracks.

But enough of this technical stuff. If you want full HD, get a set which is

- 1080p capable,

- and which will play at 25 FPS(PAL equivalent)

- and 30FPS (NTSC equivalent. Ok, you need 29.97 or whatever it is).

- And don't forget 24FPS, which is commonly used in film production.

And a PS/3.

*And an HDMI CABLE*!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

the resident dentist at mackintosh's factory in the 1930s was named mr. Grind rod, I was once told. Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Indeed, but that's not the place where people are targetting their efforts. The HDMI cable carries a very high-bandwidth uncompressed stream. That's not what we'd choose to tap into and copy anyway.

Which does not bode well for the average honest consumer. They get hit as collateral damage.

Every few months, when you buy a new disk, you get a message that you need to update your player firmware.

So are standalone player mfrs going to support and provide BD+ firmware updates for all their models indefinately?

I think we all know the answer to that.

"I'm sorry, sir, we no longer produce that model. That was last year's model. If you want to play the latest releases, may I suggest you update to our not-quite-obsolete player 2009? "

Meanwhile, the 'bad guys' who they are *trying* to target just rip it with AnyDVD-HD and remove all the silly DRM nonsense anyway.

Reply to
Ron Lowe
8<

Not good enough.. there are plenty of TVs out there that will accept 1080p but don't have enough pixels to display it.

Reply to
dennis

CPC as usual have a good price on HDMI cables

Reply to
geoff

In message , BigWallop writes

Hallelujah