RCD's - why 30mA?

I don't bother and I don't have any RFI or Hum or noise problems at all...

Reply to
tony sayer

No. Don't tell me. Yep, I've got it. You are a customer of Russ Andrews. Am I right? :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

There was an optician in Aberdeen called I(an) Strain.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why? I have one radial circuit feeding everything AV.

Be interesting to know what equipment you have where the 'chassis' ground and signal ground are separate. Domestic equipment, that is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Ron Lowe" saying something like:

Cheapskate. I use 24 carat gold bars, lovingly beaten into rod and pulled into wire by carefully hand-selected maidens with platinum tools, veiled against the slightest possibility of their breath contaminating the metal.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Warmhouse gas services in Waltham Abbey is run by Mark Heatley

Reply to
geoff

I've got a set of headphones with gold wiring. Even the speakers coils are made from gold wires. They cost a bloody fortune and still sound exactly the same as the cheap set I got with my old Walkman years ago. Why do we fall for advertising hype? :-)

It's like this new fangled "Blue Ray" discs and players. The only thing I have found good about Blue Ray, is the capacity of the discs when burning them. Because you get a narrower laser track to burn with, the standard sized disc holds a bit more data. What else is there any good about this technology? The quality of the playback looks the same on all the players I tried the discs with. The file data I've burned opens and closes on all the machines I try them in. What is any more good about this, other than the increase in storage capability?

Reply to
BigWallop

I suppose one answer would be because its enough to hold a whole movie in HiDef resolution, and the player has the capability to playback at that resolution (assuming you are able to jump through all the HDCP hoops).

The other might be that the play many people buy has a games console glued to it! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Mine was, but I built it that way. It doesn't make enough difference to bother IME.

Reply to
dennis

If you can't see the difference between dvd and bluray you need either a new tv or specs. You may be able to hear the difference too.

Reply to
dennis

Don't joke Tony. I had to use one recently, and a probate lawyer. Mr D'eath.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Then you're not watching on a display capable of handling the higher definition. Which is the case with many even so called HD displays. Or the screen size/viewing distance is such that you can't see any improvement. Assuming the actual material on the disc is of sufficient quality to start with.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Almost all are either floating, or grounded by a low value RC combination.

Signal earths, that is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The dark side of Suffolke;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Well pretty well all AV equipment is Class II anyway so it's irrelevant. But on older stuff which isn't that still wasn't the case - otherwise earth loops wouldn't exist.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

er, I wasn't being serious......

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Heh heh - I suppose the 35mm earth cable should have given clue. Not even Russ Andrews uses that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Russ Andrews always uses the best. Nothing under 18 karat gold wiring to make his signal earth. So it's the "oxygen free copper" that should have given the show away. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

I just like them for the higher capacity storage. I don't see any difference in quality from standard DVD on any of the equipment I've connected with. I only hope they don't go the way of the 8 track cassette or the BetaMax video stuff, or I'm shafted with a load of files and back invoices that I can't get at, if my player or PC drive go splat. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Well, since you mention it ( and I've already said my original posting was a joke ) mine is. ( Not a joke.. )

I built it myself.

It started as a genuine naim 12s pre-amp, 250 power amp driving passive Isobariks.

To upgrade to active, I got a naim naxo active crossover, modified the 12s pre-amp outboard PSU to supply the naxo too, and literally duplicated the

250 power amps. I built 3 replicas, and sold on the original 250 it was based on. ( If this sounds unbeleivable, I can post photos. Anyone living near Montrose can drop into Robert Richies and enquire! I'm known there for this project! )

Ritchies in Montrose converted the Isobariks to active, removing the passive XOs and installing additional connectors on the rear.

The earthing arrangements were improved at this point. The chassis earths were all isolated from signal earth. The single-point signal earth was obviously the large bus-bar between the 2 PSU reservoir caps in each of the PAs. This in turn starred back to the single-point earth in the new multiple O/P PSU I built for the pre-amp and naxo. At this one point, the chassis earth and signal earth were commoned.

Even with the moving-coil Asak input selected, there is zero hum.

I built this kit some 20 years ago, and it's still in daily use here.

Reply to
Ron Lowe