RCD for electric blanket

So ~ V = I R ( yes I know it's AC but approximate is near enough?)

Around 8kohm mains rated resistor?

Any usual household goods deliver that? Or trust it to stick my fingers across .

. . . . . only joking

Reply to
AnthonyL

Although it's a bit high (10W v 7.2W), I 'mis-wired' a 10W soldering iron as a test. Worked OK.

Reply to
PeterC

Good idea - I presume it didn't damage the soldering iron?

Reply to
AnthonyL

6.8k 8.4w so any 10-15w load with reasonably stable R.
240v on a 240v iron... not a problem.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Doh!!

Reply to
AnthonyL

Think I've got it. Shorted neutral to earth on the soldering iron plug and a nice clean and instant trip on the RCD and not a flicker elsewhere.

Reply to
AnthonyL

that demonstrates that the elsewhere device isnt providing good shock protection. ELCBs don't.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Nice move. Want a job?

Reply to
ARW

Doesn?t need to be mains rated for a quick test like that, any 8K resistor will be fine.

Reply to
john james

I'm working hard at trying to be retired thanks. But I still get flashbacks to when I was a kid and I tried to fix a loose joint on an old in-line mains connector to the wireless. Didn't pay attention to male/female rules (I think I was still underage for that sort of thing) and ended up with the male on the live plug end which was powered when I tried to pick it up. Somehow I survived (never told my parents) and an RCD (not yet invented) probably would have save me some pain. My arm hurt for a few days. :(

Reply to
AnthonyL

It is still working - probably handles the dissipation quite well ;-)

Reply to
PeterC