Ratchet crimpers for insulated terminals

I've mislaid mine. It was an unbranded one that looks similar to the Amazon Draper at £18 although to be honest their £10 Hilka looks similar too. I guess "professional" models (e.g. Screwfix CK, £50 or Radiospares £50) are worth it if you use them every day. Is it worth spending the extra for occasional use?

Reply to
newshound

IME probably not - the £10 - £20 price range ones seem more than adequate for intermittent use. It helps if they have some adjustment to control how "tight" they crimp. The set pictured here:

I have been using for at least a couple of decades - and in that time have made probably made no more than a few hundred crimps.

Reply to
John Rumm

I tend to buy deceit tools- at least consistent with giving good results. I paid about £15 for mine several years back after my old ones strayed. They are used quite often and give good results. I?ve not had a crimp fail.

Don?t bother with the non-racket ones. I tried them once, hopeless.

Reply to
Brian

I've not actually used them, but there are some brands on Amazon/etc that seem to be reasonably well regarded - not industrial grade, but worth it for the £20 or so. Iwiss is one, I also saved a link to a 'Preciva' ferrule crimp that seemed to do well in tests. There's also the Duratool ones from CPC/Farnell.

There's a variety of videos on YT comparing them - it seems the pro brands like Knipex work better which is probably worth it if you make dozens of crimps an hour all day, but I wouldn't be spending the extra if not.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I've always wondered if it would be better to use a larger crimp and overlap the two ends being joined, or is this a bad idea ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Thanks all, basic one ordered! Of course the old one will turn up now.

Reply to
newshound

these are great....

Jim GM4DHJ ...