Rainwater diversion

Those of you with good memories might recall I am diverting the rainwater off the roof of my workshop into the pond, which dries up in the summer. I diverted the guttering downspouts into a 200 litre barrel, which then drains into a 38mm pipe, which runs under the lawn into the pond. So far, the barrel hasn't filled, fortunately, since I didn't bother with an overflow arrangement.

All working an absolute treat. The pond, which was more-or-less dry on Monday now has about 3" of water in it. I just need about another fortnight like this. (Sorry).

Hopefully, it will fill up completely over the winter and so be less of a problem next year. It started off this year with only a few inches of water in it. Potentially, it's about 3 ft deep, although I may raise the level of the overflow if this all works as intended.

I'm also considering duplicating the arrangement with one of the house downspouts, running it into a water butt (for my wife's plants) and then running the overflow from that into the pond.

Reply to
Huge

I've just done that (as per some previous post). So what you might ask? Well, the water butt is at the back and the gutter runs down the side of the bungalow from the back to the downpipes at the front. A plastic bag acts as a dam (easy on a bungalow btw) and a Coca-Cola bottle over the removed end of the gutter leads into the piping.

Water butt is full now so plastic bag removed and water butt tap to pond is off.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Plastic bags however have a very limited life expectancy these days. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
AnthonyL