Rain Water Coming Down Chimneys

Hello All

Weird thing happened today, I came back from work and found globs of rainwater in my dining room and in my lounge on the floors. This is the first time I have ever experienced this in 2 years and it looks as though water had been coming down the chimney after a heavy downpour this afternoon. Should this happen, should there be something ontop of the chimney to stop water ingress? Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

A cowling,although I've never heard of rain getting into the chimney in large quantities enough to enter the living room.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Most chimneys just have an open chimney pot. This chimney pot or flue liner is finished off with a cement mortar flaunching. Seems possibly that has failed, and the rainwater can ingress between the pot and the chimney brickwork. Get a local roofer to have a look.

-- WSB Hampshire Roofing

Reply to
West Stand Bowler

If the chimney isn't used, yes. If it is used, have a fire every so often to dry it out.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Perhaps large hailstones came down, and bounced out of the fireplace before melting?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On 18 May 2006 10:02:05 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote this:-

It happens. However, people only tend to notice if the water makes it all the way down the chimney, bounces off the fireplace and onto the floor.

You can fit various designs of cowl to prevent this happening. None of them look attractive in my view.

Reply to
David Hansen

Never had water outside the fireplace, the hail stone suggestion is a good suggestion. Ocassionally have had rain running down the flue after heavy rain, fitted a cowl as I only used the stove occasionally and was concerned about damp. There is a selection here.

the Euro Cowl mini which I think looks OK.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

In article , Jim Alexander writes

I'd agree that it's not usually a problem but if you're a happy roof walker then a cheap cap will help, here's another example:

here:

or (cheapest) here:

fred

pmsl, its a cowl sir not a femal model.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Oh, I have.

If it rains a LOT you can get a bit dribbling into the fireplace

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Great, I reckon Andrews theory is a good one, the water was in real small puddles just like a hail stone had melted, rather than splashes. A few spots even made it out of the fireplace about 9 ft!!!! I'll look into the cowl. Cheers all

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

You'll need a long ladder ;-)

John

Reply to
John

This is a DIY group

Ahhh

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

Though rapidly becoming uk.get-a-little-man-in

Reply to
Guy King