Rain missing gutter due to rotten/missing felt

Last year John Wayne, Alan Ladd, James Stewart and a few of their cronies came and did some work on our house.

One of the things they did was to replace the knackered gutters and downpipes. However, the felt that (I assume, not being a roofer) is supposed to protrude from beneath the tiles and lap over the edge of the gutter was rotten, and wasn't replaced. The gutter is not reliably immediately below the edge of the tiles, so in places the rain tends to drip off the roof and fall directly onto the wall below.

We're all out of cash, so I'm looking for a cheap and reasonably long- lasting solution. One thing I've considered is to insert lengths of (say) damp proof membrane underneath the last course or two of tiles, and lap it over the gutter.

However, is there a better solution?

Thanks

Edward

Reply to
billrigby

The felt is not meant to do that (although it does sometimes). The gutter

*is* meant to be "reliably under the tile edge", though.

Well, it won't do any harm

Adjust/refit the gutter, I'm afraid

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Thanks for the reply. I've spoken to the supplier of the guttering (Lindab) and their rep is due to call to see how best to sort it.

Reply to
billrigby

I'd be looking for something you could stick to the inside of the gutter so it wouldn't flap about in the wind and drive you and your neighbours mad. A repair tape of some kind? IIRC dpm doesn't take adhesive that well

Reply to
stuart noble

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

These are intended for this job:

're meant to be fitted under the felt so that any leakage past the tiles runs off the felt, onto the tray and then into the gutter. Fitting is easiest before the tiles go on but a retrofit with you just lifting the tiles shouldn't be too bad. The weight of the tiles may be enough to hold them but a self tapper into the gutter would make it more secure.

As you appear to have had the bad bunch out, I don't imagine there's any risk of the tile fronts being clipped down.

Reply to
fred

I've never found a house with the bottom row of tiles nailed down (and usually, no rows are nailed down except possibly on the edge).

I've fitted these by sliding the bottom row of tiles up under the row above. Then slide the support tray under the felt. You may need to trim the lip on the tray so the tray rests on the rafters, and isn't being propped up by the gutter. Hold the tray in position with a nail or screw into each rafter near the top edge of the tray. (Lift the felt to do this -- don't put the nail/screw through the felt.) I used galvanized roofing felt nails as I had them handy at the time, and the top doesn't have any sharp edges to tear the felt. Don't fix them to the gutters, or you'll have problems with differential expansion and you'll curse if you ever want to take the gutters down.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

Ah, the joys of shandy land ;-). Ooop 'ere is testing land for roofing systems and if it ain't nailed down it doesn't stay on.

The gutter suggestion was a last resort, limited access to fix from the top, too far from the soffit so what's left.

Reply to
fred