radiator leak

Hi All,

I have a small leak that occurs when the heating is of strangely, in an upstairs radiator. the leak is where the valve fitting actually enters the radiator ( a square shaped fitting ). I have tried a couple of tiny turns with a spanner to tighten it to no avail. should i give it a good half turn or would that over do it, any suggestions please?

thanks,

Nige.

Reply to
Nige

You could try and it might work.

The real solution is to turn off both radiator valves, noting the position on the lockshield valve with a pencil first, and then carefully undo one of the valve unions over a container. Warning. The water may bring sludge with it and this will stain anything it touches.

Undo the radiator tail, wrap with PTFE tape wound on clockwise as you look at the end that goes in the radiator end on, to avoid unwinding. About 5 turns should be enough. Screw back into radiator and reassemble everything in reverse order.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Might help:

BigWallop

Andy's given you the answer, but have you inhibitor in the system? This should deal with any small leaks that may develop - although I wouldn't expect it to cure an existing one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

There was inhibitor put in when system installed 3 years ago. Dont know if i will need to top it up if i drain the radiator to fix this leak though.

thanks for replies.

Nige.

Reply to
Nige

It should be replaced or topped up now anyway..

Effectiveness diminishes over time....... ..