Radial Circuit

What is the maximum load on a typical radial circuit (as opposed to Ring) in a house, when the circuit is done in 2.5mm2?

Reply to
SantaUK

20A i.e. about 4.6 kW

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It will depend on the how and where the cable is run....

Typically a 20 MCB supplying general purpose 13A sockets for a floor area of up to 50m^2.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks guys, its three extremely small rooms, in an office, and each room has a 2kw heater, which we have put onto their own radial circuit. So I take it I will need to go in tomorrow and make it a ring!

Reply to
SantaUK

If the heaters are the main form of heating for the room they should be individually wired back to the CU on 15A radials, one per heater.

Rings are for *general purpose* sockets, not fixed heating installations.

In a workplace, Electricity at Work Regulations will apply.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I'm not clear why you say that. 6kW on a 7kW ring is not a great idea,

2kW loads on 4.6kW radials is much better. Neither is ideal though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:01:52 +0100 someone who may be "SantaUK" wrote this:-

Given that you asked your original elementary question, it seems to me that you do not have the knowledge to competently design or install fixed electrical wiring. If the office burns down or someone is electrocuted then expect a great deal of interest to be taken in who designed and wired up the circuit(s).

Reply to
David Hansen

Luckily it ain't me! Information has though been passed on!

Reply to
SantaUK