Quick alternative to scaffold?

Hi all,
I wandered past this today:
http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/scaffold.jpg
(Forgive the quality, it was a quick walk-by capture with my phone as I didn't want to arouse suspicion by taking pictures of somebody's house!)
Are these commonplace? I thought it seemed like a quick alternative to scaffolding towers. That said, it didn't look like the sturdiest of things and indeed I was expecting to find something substantial at the bottom but it was just similar to the top but without the platform!
It wasn't all that clear how it was erected, I am assuming you peg up the platform at ground level and then slide the whole lot up? What with though?
Mathew
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:57:32 -0700, Mathew Newton wrote:

Yikes. Looks like it focuses a lot of the weight onto two points pressing against the side wall of the house... it's not so bad for a regular ladder and one person, but that looks like a lot more material and a two-person cradle...

Lots of well-built mates and a good run-up? :-)

I've seen them used by the company that maintains H.Assoc houses in my area.
Not cheap and you have to proide your own sturdy ladders. http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladder_accsr_ldrscaf.htm
mark

My word. I tell you something - you'd never get me on one of those things! That said, when I go up a ladder I barely have any hands free to do any work what with me wanting to hold on so much!
I can't help feel there's some subliminal connection in their URL... ;-)
Mathew
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:44:01 -0700 (PDT), Mathew Newton wrote:

The roofer that did my GF's house had the ladders at about 45 deg. (lean-to consevatory in the way) and were going up fast, with tiles, either 1- or no-handed!
--
Peter.

Doesn't look like an alternative to a tower to me. If you erected a scafolding tower you would find yourself looking at the roof from a fair distance due to the extended bay on the ground floor. An alternative to a full scaffolding install, perhaps. Doesn't look quick or cheap ;-)

The trouble with support on 2 legs is that if one joint or leg fails, the lot crashes down. With a 4 legged structure it won't do well on 3 legs, but it should stay up long enough to get down (the non-fast way).
NT
Mathew Newton wrote:

That is just a modern day version of "ladder brackets" see;http://preview.tinyurl.com/yguqmn2 and scroll down.
As a matter of interest, the original ladder bracket carried just a couple of scaffold planks with no safety rail - and were in common use until the health and safety brigade became concerned about the number of accidents when using things. Hence the modern equivalent, complete with a deck and guards.
Cash

the people that used them with just a scaffoldboard and two ordinary ladders i.e me. called them suicide brackets.

I would NOT use that, it would not pass any form of Health & Safety inspection in the UK.
Roger wrote:

Roger,
I personally wouldn't use such a scaffold [1], but it will comply with H&S Regulations - as long as it is erected in accordance to instructions/best practice procedures, on level ground (or properly supported on falling ground) and is tied either at the top or bottom (or both) to prevent slippage, all guards and braces in place and is only loaded to its maximum *SAFE* weight.
Generally, this sort of thing is only used for access to fascias and soffits, and would only be carrying the weight of two men, some tools and the odd length of timber or gutter at the most.
[1] Remember though that if this job is done by a contracting firm, it will actually be unlawful under the H&S Regulations to simply use ladders to work most jobs at that height - so this is a cheaper method than erecting a full scaffold to say, clean out gutters, replace the odd tile or two, painting fascia and soffits etc.
Cash
Mathew Newton wrote:

This sort of thing seems to be popular with the replacement fascia chaps. However, in my area, I have yet to see anybody bothering to fit the safety rails!
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

Bingo!
Having seen two in use, looked perfectly safe to me. Safety lies in the hands of the user IMHO.
MBQ
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Mathew Newton

Looks as dodgy as a lorry full of spivs. Nothing tying it to the building, either.
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Saw it being used by Anglian Windows to do guttering the other day. I imagine they comply with all the regs