PVR Choice

No, I am fairly sure the modulation schemas are either SD or HD and that's that.

Nothing in between.

And no Bluray quality yet

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My interpretation of that was that it is no longer *made* (by anyone) but there are still some around, rather than it now being made by someone else.

But I could be wrong.

Reply to
Roger Mills

That's the word I was looking for!

Could be. Only Yellow can tell us.

Reply to
Davey

Is that a trick question?

Reply to
Yellow

No, the wording "no longer manufactured by Humax" led me to think that it was now made by somebody else, such as a Chinese cloning company. If you had said "... no longer manufactured.", then it would have been clear that you meant that it was no longer being made, by anybody, Humax or otherwise.

Nothing to get worried about.

Reply to
Davey

I've just been through a similar exercise myself.

Originally I looked at a Humax refurbished unit

pricepoint) but eventually plumpted for a BT Youview+ box. Sure, it's Youview not Freeview but it does everything it says on the box!

Reply to
PeterL

Right. So a very restricted number of channels. My satellite receiver is HD too. Again not a vast difference, if any.

There are some channels that are on HD on satellite but not Freeview.

Bust again it does depend if they are showing genuine HD programmes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The HUMAX FVP-4000T can be had as 500GB or 1TB and has 3 freeview HD tuners so can record 3 channels whilst watching a 4th provided it is on a MUX that is already being recorded from (the review below says it is possible to record 4 channels and watch a 5th).

see:

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Enigma 2 boxes allow recording to USB stick/drives or by way of Ethernet to a network drive.

Reply to
alan_m

The Topfield doesn't support HD that the OP requested.

Reply to
alan_m

Many of the Enigma 2 type boxes manufacturers have recently announced new models supporting 4K content so some of the current HD boxes may start coming down in price.

Reply to
alan_m

I know, I was just replying to a comment re other manufacturers doing what Toppy enthusiasts have done and how the Topfields have been way better than the Humax.

Point of order though: What's best, something that works, is flexible but doesn't support HD (considering how few channels are HD (or weren't, the last time I looked ..)) ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

(considering how few channels are HD (or

Some SD channels are now only on HD MUXs and it's likely that sometime soon many more SD channels will require a T2 tuner.

Reply to
alan_m

Tell me about it. Film4+1....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The most popular by far channels are all HD. Those that aren't can't afford to because of so few viewers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks. I don't have HD anything nor a TV big enough to appreciate it. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

No, there was about 40% free.