Purlins and gallow brackets

I need to provide some additional support to the purlins holding up our 1900 terraced roof. The purlin is clearly bowing in the middle as it only has 2 diagonal supports onto a wall plate, from what we can see nothing has been removed and has been supporting it for the past

100 years.

My carpenter father in law will help us out with provide some additional support in the centre to stop the bow getting any worse.

The purlins are not notched into the wall, so I'd like to provide some support/fix on the ends. Do gallow brackets exists for purlins?. Or could I use gallow brackets and a timber shoe to overcome the timber being at an angle due to the pitch of the roof?

thanks for any thoughts

Reply to
gna03633

Take some pictures and post the link,then we can see what is needed and the extent of the problem.

Reply to
ALex

Sounds like your house once had a slate roof, and now has much heavier concrete tiles.

I'd think about bolting a 2nd purlin in next to the existing one, sounds like a big job to me.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Thanks for the advice.

The house now has asbestos slates, wouldn't have thought they weigh more than slate.

It won't be a quick job getting some big timbers through a hole in the roof, resting them on the wall plates and internal walls then bolting together. Then adding the much needed support for the centre of the purlin. Lucky the father in law does this for a living ;-)

I need to provide some end support for purl> Sounds like your house once had a slate roof, and now has much heavier > concrete tiles.

Reply to
gna03633