PTFE etc adhesive

I need some glue that'll work on the range of hard plastics that most glues exclude. Will be near a Screwfix tomorrow (and haven't found anything which stood out on their website).

Reply to
Roland Perry

Tim Watts

In article , Roland Perry writes

Have a look at 5-Star Adhesives. I've used their cyano' and cellulose dope but not tried this one;

Chris Holford

except their webshop is still down due to moving premises ...

I've heard 3M DP8005 recommended for polyethylene and ptfe, but never need to try it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm surprised to see one can still buy cellulose dope.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yeah, hell of an inditement of them that its down for so long, best part of a year.

Reply to
JHY

PTFE is what non stick surfaces are made of, so getting anything to glue to it is unlikely, unless you melt it and modern ptfe has a very high melting point which is why its used on cookwear!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , at 10:23:43 on Sun, 2 Aug 2015, Brian Gaff remarked:

I don't know what material it is exactly, other than glues which say "Except PE, PP and PTFE" don't work.

The thing itself is one of those grey plastic tubes[1] from a "frame fixing", which might be PA (nylon).

[1] I'm not using it as a frame fixer, it just happens to be a tube with suitable strength and dimensions.
Reply to
Roland Perry

I was surprised to see how well hot-melt adhesive worked on PVC.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

The only thing PTFE will stick to is PTFE. In order to coat things with PTFE, they are first sprayed with a mixture of PTFE and other substances, typically a resin of some type. The resin sticks to the substrate and holds the PTFE in a physical matrix. Later layers of PTFE will then stick to the exposed bits of PFTE.

IME, the only reliable way for anybody without that sort of technology to fix things to polythene and to PTFE is using a physical connection, such as a bolt. Both materials take a thread quite well.

Reply to
Nightjar

I would imagine it is more difficult these days to buy the nitrocellulose version than other types.

Reply to
Nightjar

Nightjar The only thing PTFE will stick to is PTFE.

Not according to 3M

True it has its lowest shear strength when bonding PTFE rather than other plastics, and it's about £15 a tube (plus you need a special 10:1 plunger to get it out, for DIY you could probably mix it with a spatula, rather than wasting a lot filling the special mixing nozzles).

Reply to
Andy Burns

What about this:

Tim Watts

I posted a link to an article that mentioned that too.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Maybe it'd be easier to find a suitable tube made of a more glue friendly material?

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , at 11:24:07 on Sun, 2 Aug 2015, Tim Watts remarked:

That gave me something to start from, and this (less pricey) item got good reviews for nylon in a magazine:

Roland Perry

It's the one I mentioned at dark o'clock but thought I'd better see what the spec said, they don't *actually* recommend it for PTFE, but then I doubt a frame anchor is made from PTFE, nylon is more likely.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Perhaps I should have said the only thing that PTFE will reliably stick to is PTFE. I have used adhesives with better than that specification to hold steel to ABS and they were not dependable.

Reply to
Nightjar

That is the most probable material, in which case cyanoacrylate or UV cure adhesives usually work best.

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , at

11:46:30 on Sun, 2 Aug 2015, Andy Burns remarked:

cough, I don't think anyone is seeing the "etc" in the title.

Reply to
Roland Perry