Proposal - rotating cars

Why can cars not be made so you can power one side backwards and the other forwards, so it could rotate like a tank? No more 3 point turns.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Nightjar

Excellent design. Should be on all cars. I particularly like it going sideways. I'd use it to park in very tight spaces to piss off the people with the old kind of steering in front and behind me.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

No explanation given.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

No explanation required. A prick is a pick is a prick and you certainly are a prick. Prick.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Why not just have electric castors that can be lowered underneath, then you can just push it sideways. Lock the castors to change a wheel simple Crossposts removed. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Your eloquence sux.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That would be another idea, it depends what's easier to make mechanically.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Seems to me to be a succinct but accurate description of the sort of person who wants to annoy and inconvenience random strangers for his own amusement. But what do I know? For all I know you don't even read what you write.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Not my fault if their cars are inferior.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Hellish hard on the tyres. Tank tracks can take it; car tyres might even rip off the rims, and if nothing else they'd wear badly.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Surely not much harder on the tyres than a 3 point turn.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Sideways wheels of one sort or another have been demonstrated a number of times over the years. The simplest was a 1953 Packard that was fitted with a transverse fifth wheel at the rear. The car was nosed into a space, the fifth wheel lowered and the back driven sideways into the parking space. None were commercially successful.

There is currently also the Liddiard omnidirectional wheel, which uses a doughnut shaped tyre that can rotate sideways on its rim. I don't see that being any more successful than any of the others. If nothing else, the tyre is going to have to be a compromise that probably won't be as good in normal driving as a conventional tyre.

Reply to
Nightjar