Projector Screen Material

It does not have to at all.... however you *will* notice a big difference between a decent screen and a plain white wall. How much that difference matters however only you can tell.

(the less "hostile" the viewing environment (off or right on axis viewers, and high ambient light levels) the more acceptable the plain white wall solution).

Reply to
John Rumm

You may be able to get a zoom lens for it...

Ah... ok different ball game!

£1000 for a screen would be very cheap at that size! There are plenty of front projection ones well over £5K. Looks like a painted wall is going to be the way to go then!

(just as well you don't want a top of the range *rear* projection screen, that would be over £12K at that size!),

Way too low unless you have the room almost completely blacked out - even then marginal. You could go for a non unity gain screen, but it would be cheaper to go for a bigger projector. (have a look at some of the Optoma DLP projectors - their 3.5K ANSI Lumens ones are quite reasonable price wise.

The difficulty with a plain white wall, is that what you see with the projector turned off is the best *black* you are going to get. So that can still leave even the best contrast DLP projector looking washed out.

I suppose you could do fixed with electric curtains in front - rather like a cinema.

So you will cop for any hot spot then ;-)

Yup, well worth doing

Even a matt black rectangle painted on the wall will help.

Reply to
John Rumm

What! You want a 12 foot (diag) screen? Last time I saw one of these was at a cinema. Good luck in finding one that big.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Try

will explain why proper material is better than a white wall.

John

Reply to
John

yeah - hehe - Hence the request for a source of 'material'. I don't expect to find a screen that big available 'off the shelf' as it were...

Tim Nicholson

You can get them "off the shelf" that big and more! (the prices are just not funny though!)

Reply to
John Rumm

I wonder what cinemas do if their 15 foot screens are damaged at the edge?

Reply to
John Cartmell