Problem with Stayer SDS Drill

I bought a Stayer SDS drill (PD24) a couple of years ago from Screwfix, having seen it recommended in quite a few threads on this group (they don't seem to sell it any more). I've been very happy with it so far. Unfortunately it now seems to have developed a strange fault. It only works when oriented at certain angles. For example, if I hold it in the 'normal' upright position, with drill bit horizontal, and squeeze on the trigger, nothing happens. If I now tilt it downwards, so the bit is towards the floor, it starts. Tilt it up again, it stops again. Again, starting from normal position, if I rotate about the axis of the bit until it is on its side it starts, but only in one direction (if I rotate the other way it doesn't work).

Any ideas what it might be and how easy it would be to repair?

Does anyone know how easy it is to get these drills serviced?

Assuming the worst and it's not worth repairing, what are the current recommendations for cheap SDS drills?

Thanks for any advice.

Ian.

Reply to
Ian

Brushes worn out? My cheapo SDS drill from Homebase came with a spare pair of brushes which seems to indicate that they are likely to wear out.

HTH Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Broken flex? Used to have to shorten flexes quite regularly as the cable breaks within the insulation, often where the flex enters the drill housing. Instead of moving the drill around, try moving the flex while the drill is switched on. If it is the flex, it ought to be straightforward to remove all the screws holding the two halves of the drill together, remove the flex, shorten or replace and reassemble.

HTH, Chas

Reply to
Chas

Yes - got in one. Thanks!

I had originally jiggled the flex about when I noticed the problem, but I obviously wasn't doing it hard enough. I got side-tracked by the consistency of the effects of tilting the drill as I described.

Anyway, now fixed and as good as new.

Thanks,

Ian.

Reply to
Ian

I work for Screwfix and if you phone the Contact centre and ask to speak to the tech dep if the drill is out of warrinty then they will give you Stayers phone number for you to get advise

Reply to
Steph

Congratulations on having the tenacity to troubleshoot this problem and execute the repair. People these days are too willing to write off and throw away things that stop working simply because they have stagnant minds and a relatively well-paid job. I personally get far greater satisfaction out of repairing then using something that has been scrapped than I would just buying new.

Reply to
Qualmby

I have my doubts it will still be working somewhere around 18 years later?

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Congratulations on replying to a post 17 years old.

Reply to
alan_m

I'm not so sure about that, I have a Stayer SDS I bought from Screwfix about that many years ago and it's still going strong.

Reply to
Chris Green

It is possible that the poster is still monitoring his post...

Reply to
Qualmby

I have drills over 50 years old, still going round and BTW the post was about the owner of the drill's tenacity with his problem, not the drill itself. The comment holds true whether the drill has karked or not...

Reply to
Qualmby

No and please if you are posting from home owners club deliberately put in a quote as their daft interface seems not to do this when it posts via usenet.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Not if he posted via the Usenet!

Reply to
alan_m

I wouldn?t describe fixing a broken flex as one that required great tenacity. It is literally the first thing you check in any mobile appliance if it?s working intermittently.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No, you check the battery contacts, dumbo

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mains drill thicky.

Perhaps I should have clarified that I was referring to mains cable fed appliances but I thought given the context that was unnecessary. Apparently not.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

As I remarked in my original post, there are many people who, when faced with a problem of this type would just bin the tool and buy another. To troubleshoot then fix a fault is a skill that is dying out.

Reply to
Qualmby.

I was taught that the power supply was the first thing to check. What that power supply is depends on the equipment

Reply to
charles

USENET has limited post history maintenance.

Real INN servers have finite disk resources, and so after a period of time, old messages scroll out of existence. The server has what are known as "high-water and low-water marks", and that's how the client determines which messages are no longer available for reading.

Google might well have the deepest history of any INN server. Some of their dejanews archives go back

20-30 years. But the archive is not a complete set, and it's not 100,000 groups times 30 years of content.

Commercial INN servers (used for movie distribution, monthly charge for connections), those go back 10-12 years, and can be as hole-filled as Swiss Cheese, due to DMCA takedown notices. Some USENET posters, upload 1TB of movies per day, to battle against the movie industry takedown notices that remove

1TB of movies a day :-) We're talking seriously large flows of data, something that HomeOwnersHub could not hold a candle to.

Paul

Reply to
Paul