Problem with a pendant light fitting

The problem might not be with the fitting but a loose connection elsewhere ie the ceiling rose. We had a box room where we seemed to be replacing bulb s much quicker than elsewhere, the problem turned out to be a loose wire in the ceiling rose. A half turn of a screwdriver cured the problem.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

It won't be vibration from above, while the light's on, because the room above is mum's bedroom. And usually there's at least a 20-minute delay (while she potters around doing this and that before going upstairs) between the lounge lights being switched off last thing at night, and her arrival in the bedroom. She's well past pogo-ing age too... and it's an old and very solidly built house.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

I suppose it's at switch on since I think we tend to find them not working, rather than experience one suddenly going out. But I tend to get told "another one's gone", by phone, without having been here when it happened, and I've not asked that question.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

There's Xena, the oxide of course (cf. silica).

Reply to
PeterC

It's something that I'll look at, along with the junctions that are presumably inside the unit where one incoming feed splits to three separate bulb holders. There's also the connections to the holders.

Last night I googled to find suppliers of SES / E14 bulb holders. If I can find out how to get the old ones out of the unit, and find a replacement with the same mounting method then it's probably worth replacing them. It's clear that a lot of these things just have push-fit cable connections, which presumably use springs that can age. It may also mean that I need care in disassembling the unit as if I'm unlucky these won't readily come apart without breaking. Mum isn't sure that I should try, but she definitely needs the level of light the unit provides, and dreads the idea of having to shop for a new unit (she's unlikely not to be fussy about the look of a new one).

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts