Lobster

From: Lobster Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 Time: 09:31:20

David,

Your assumption was correct -- in my very sheltered life I had never heard of knotting fluid. Thank you.

Reply to
Ian

I wonder whether the whole knotting concept need updating. Although pine resin will bleed through oil based coatings (hence the traditional alcohol soluble shellac knotting) I imagine acrylics are also resistant. Anyone tried water based primer/undercoat over knots?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

ISTR nail varnish works too but sounds like you'll maybe need more than a few of 'er indoors' old cast offs...

JimK

Reply to
JimK

I've had trouble with knots showing through even with water-based and acrylic paints. The knotting fluid (e.g. Ronseal from B&Q) reduces it a lot. I usually paint on two coats as per instructions.

Cheers, Hugh

Reply to
Hugh

Yes, and the knots show through!!

Reply to
Roger Mills

In which case, it's worth noting that knotting is just low quality shellac (and cheaper when bought as shellac).

It's worth having shellac in the workshop - very useful stuff. The typical Screwfix shellac grades still contain wax, which ought to be "dewaxed" before fine finishing work. It's easy to do this: sit it undisturbed on a shelf for a few weeks until the wax settles out, then carefully pour off the good stuff (2/3 - 3/4) into another bottle. The waxy remainder makes excellent sanding sealer (easier to sand, owing to the wax) or indeed knotting.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Indeed a bit of expanding was in order. :-)

Had intended to look it up on the FAQ and post link to that. Other things got in the way so I posted as I did.

Now looking at FAQ can't actually see any reference to knotting. Obviously desirable for it to be added.

Reply to
Rod

Shellac wax was very pricey last time I looked, maybe because it's about the only hard animal wax

Reply to
Stuart Noble

In message , Ian writes

Knot heard of it ?

Reply to
geoff

Use knotting before priming. Mandatory. Then plastic wood for any holes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Shellac is a product, it is made from an insects secretion not an animal product, it is called Lac. Shellac base primers seal knots well, usualy oil products work but on new bleeding knots Shellac can be better, Here I can get a primer in a spray can for water damaged walls or wood from Zinser and I used to buy it by the can, I think its called Bin. if its a big job you can get shellac and thin it with Alcohol, or even cheap gin, or get a primer with shellac base. No water base product will work like Shellac for all around stain sealing

Reply to
ransley

Hi, I have used knotting only to have the resin leak through it after a few years, having overpainted the knotting with primer, undercoat and gloss. My solution was aluminum-based primer....never had resin get through that. Considering the problems of patching and matching the other coverings, I would never take the risk again..and I would use two coats of the aluml primer too. ! D

Reply to
gilli

none of thse is relevant: You need to use great gobs of knotting.

Ive never had it get through properly applied knotting.

Not that I paint wood much. Or use the sort of wood that needs knotting.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

or varnish/shellac over the knots .. works just the same.

Only any good for Live knots ... any dead knots ... hit them out now & fill, or glue them in, they will fall out otherwise.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

So what are insects these days, broccoli?

Reply to
Andy Dingley