Pressure washer/ steam cleaner

My wife has the idea of cleaning the grouting in our shower with the aid of a power washer or steam cleaner. She has tried all the usual chemical cleaners which she finds labour intensive. Any suggestions where I can obtain reasonably priced items and or other suggestions for doing the job

Blair Malcolm

Reply to
Blair Malcolm

This will be messy, and is likely to remove some or most of the grout.

This may work, but I personally wouldn't risk it unless I was sure the grout and tile adhesive can stand it.

If your grout is dirty/mouldy, regrout. It's not as long winded as you might expect.

Once you've regrouted, treat the grout with Lithofin MN to make future cleaning easier.

Reply to
Grunff

Steer well clear of the pressure washer idea unless you like very wet rooms with lots of missing grout and tiles!

Earlex make a steam squeegy attachment that goes on the end of one of the wallpaper strippers. This is designed for cleaning tiles and grout. It still makes a fair bit of mess though and is only moderately successful.

Reply to
John Rumm

I used my Bosch wallpaper steam stripper, holding the hose in a large cloth bundle to degrease/clean the grout in my shower. I also scrubbed with a brush dipped in washing up liquid and water at same time. Oh wear wellies in the shower when doing this so you can make a mess.

No problems apart from odd steaming of hands and curling of the brush bristles under the heat. Grout came up very clean. I then re-grouted using a regrouting stuff (just very white grout and some glue or other). Some of the dirty grout was in fact not mould but soap/shampoo residues.

Reply to
Ian Middleton