preserver for oak windows

A lot of people say you don't need to. However they cost me a lot so what do you recommend as a stain or preservative ?. The door has got Dulux weathershield on it

been on a year (2 coats) and is already flaking off despite the 6 year gurantee. Thanks

Reply to
nickphill

I used these:

came highly recommended by many people, including Brewers. Where I've applied them and they've been on 6 months they are fine so far.

Reply to
Cod Roe

Consider Wickes clear woodstain. Had some (3 coats) on an exterior hardwood frame for over 15 months, not in ditect sun for any length of time but no signs of damage so far

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Agreed, and providing that the joinery is properly prepared and the coating instructions are followed as per manufactureres specifications, then a five year life span should be easily obtained.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

First two year it probably will - sand down and apply two more coats.

That's where mines at..still holding now thought.

Trouble is. new wood moves in bad weather a bit..splits the surface..

Reply to
The Natural Philsopher

it

> Its been on a year (2 coats) and is already flaking off despite the 6 > year gurantee.

Dear Nick It is helpful to differentiate between a preserver and a stain A preserver is designed to prevent funga decay in the main. It stops hyphal entry into the vessels of hardwood or tries to but is not very effective in the sense that treatment of the fibres is poor or nonexistent. Much depends on whether the oak is English (Grade 3 naturally durable) or other such as American (a lower level of natural durabitly) and also if sapwood is present (all of which is perisable)

My advice is to treat all end grain by dipping overnight (unless the windows are already in in which case I would use a preservative gel such as Probor (Safeguard Chemicals) in situ and to protect the surface with a water repellant preservative stain (WRPS). The latter is aimed at reducing UV damage and stopping precurser stainer fungi as well as keeping water out in the liquid phase whilst still allowing vapour movement

I personally use Sikkens but the bog standard AKZO Nobel products are, as far as I know, the best on the market

I endorse reading the M Instructions as advised by others

I do not believe any 5 year claims I re do mine every 2 years but then it is rather a nasty sea-side environment - it all depends on the weathering effect!

Chris

Reply to
mail