Preparing peeling paintwork - advice?

Indeed. Though perhaps any faq/wiki response on this should explain that.

Seems sensible.

Understood; that's what I imagined was probably the case. Thanks for your opinions.

Reply to
Michael Rozdoba
[snip]

LOL. I'm good at procrastinating.

It's now done. Should be dry enough to put the shelves et al back up in a minute. Looks much better than I expected. So far there's no obvious problems & it went on easily :)

For the record, I brushed on a mist coat at 1:1, then gave the two worst looking walls a second coat at about 70:30. Rollered the proper coat on this morning & it seemed to cover perfectly.

I didn't make too much mess either, which was unexpected given it had a viscosity close to that of water.

Oh, sanding: I was using a belt sander (Bosch PBS60) on the original paintwork (to remove unstable paint & rub the rest down) & yes I have read the recent thread on belt sanders. I didn't do any significant damage but it was seriously uneven. My only alternative was an orbital sander but that's both out on loan &, I'm told, now dead. After reading about random orbital sanders here I picked up a cheap Clarke CROS1 for

20ukp from down the road.

I ended up using it to finish rubbing down & to sand down the filler. Very impressed. I expected something similar to the orbital sander but it seems to do a far superior job.

I wonder what other tools I'm missing out on. Something cheap for infrequent welding would be nice (Used to have a Benzomatic mapp/oxy torch, but when I recently needed it I found they can't legally import their O2 into Europe anymore).

Reply to
Michael Rozdoba