Pre Part P liablity

Referring to the case of the death by electrocution of the daughter of MP Jenny Tonge:

Does anyone know if the "builder" who carried out the installation of the cable 10mm below the surface of the plaster, unprotected and running diagonally, faced any kind of action from the HSE or similar? I know the HSE are keen on taking action on building sites etc where dangerous practices have occurred.

When I was doing my C&Gs in Electrical Installation and Electronics Servicing in the 1980's we were told by lecturers that after our exams we would be considered as "somewhat" qualified, and would therefore be liable if we carried out electrical work which caused death or injury to a third party. Does this liability extend to criminal law, or simply a way for the family to seek redress through civil law?

To my mind, the builder who installed a cable to supply a cooker hood, represented himself to be competent to carry out this work. Would it be any different if a roofer installed roof tiles without fixings which slid off the roof and killed a third party?

Another thought crossed my mind with regard to Part P. We have a utility room with a tiled walls, worktop, sink, gas heating boiler, two freezers, washing machine, tumble drier etc. It's not our kitchen as it has no cooker, and no food is stored there. Why is this treated any differently to our kitchen for the purpose of Part P, surely the same risks exist? If I move the cooker and the food out of the kitchen, can I legally work on the electrics until I move the cooker back in?

Reply to
Doctor D

AFAIK not. The fatality, as far as one can judge, came down to three things: (a) the (mis)location of said cable; (b) the fact that the towel rail was screwed into it with no check being made for embedded cables (IIRC the restricted zone rule is fairly new so an older cable could have been there); and (c) the fact that various people had been getting shocks off said rail but this was ignored.

So if you were to be prosecuted I suspect your lawyer would be asking for the installer of the towel rail (JT's SiL) to be made a joint defendant. Why all the reports were so reticent about naming the firm who installed the hood I don't know.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

In message , Doctor D writes

I understood that the sink was the primary determining factor in the definition of a kitchen.

On a related note, I believe there are rules about the placement of power sockets near kitchen sinks. Do the rules extend to prohibiting the replacement of a sink which has sockets closer than the current rules allow?

Reply to
Joe

So I can blame the estate agent! Yippee! Two kitchens and no utility room!

Reply to
Doctor D

In message , Joe writes

There are no specific rules, though general stuff about them being sensibly placed in relation to the sink.

Reply to
chris French

I would have thought the IEE might also be in the dock if the only mechanical protection was PVC channeling. They insisted for a while that all metallic mechanical protection must be earthed so ensuring any competant electrician used PVC mechanical protection instead!

Reply to
Fred

You don't want that. We bought a house that did have two kitchens (was once two houses) and had to have one removed before we could complete as a condition of the mortgage.

Reply to
Mike

One guess. They were NICEIC registered........?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Our house had two kitchens (it had been in multiple occupation, informally, no separate front door, since 1922).

We took one out a few years ago. Recently had the house revalued by the original surveyor, who still had his notes from 10 years ago! He said that the removal of the kitchen had DECREASED the value...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I got the feeling from some of the bits I read that the misrouting of the cable was only "slight" - in that it did go a little out of zone, but was still mostly in line with the socket, rather than the 45 degree impression that some reports have given.

Reply to
John Rumm

It does - it makes it a single occupancy which is what the mortgage company need for security on the loan.

Reply to
Mike

I don't follow that....!

We took out a mortgage when we bought the house. It was valued by the building society's surveyor.

We recently took out a second mortgage with the same building society, and they used the same surveyor.

So they had enough security on the loan the first time, and much more than enough the second time, this being ten years later and quite a small loan. So it didn't bother them at all, and it was only mentioned in passing anyway.

Reply to
Bob Eager

If there is a second kitchen then there is the possibility of a subletting. It is usually a condition of mortgages that no part of the house is sublet as this would make it difficult for them to repossess quickly if a problem arose. Hence we had to remove the second kitchen.

Of course once one has the house one could always install five kitchens but that's another story :-)

Reply to
Mike

Yes, it was introduced in an amendment to the 15th Edition which took effect from 12th June 1987.

Reply to
Andy Wade