Powering camera for longer

7809 fixed voltage regulator on a tag strip, but the OP said the camera specifies 8 volts as a supply voltage. Hence I recommended the LM317 based solution.
Reply to
John Williamson

It's not exactly rocket science.....

The impedance of the connection, plus a decoupling capacitor on the input, with a small inductor in series for the paranoid, or, as on the radio power supply input, to kill RF interference.

Reply to
John Williamson

Why not just use a higher capacity 9v battery of a different type[1] and make up an output lead which looks like a PP3 battery at the camera end?

[1] Google for 'Lantern Battery' - most are 6v, but quite a few are 9v
Reply to
Roger Mills

Why not just buy one of the many reversing cameras on eBay that are designed to run on 12 volts in the first place?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

True, but there are readily available regulators that are spec'd for automotive applications. Take a look at National's LM2940 and LM2931 series, for example. These will handle the 60 V load-dump transients and are also inherently reverse-polarity safe.

Reply to
Andy Wade

I was wondering about this - the spec sheet says 8V but the PP3 battery outputs 9V surely?

Reply to
Jake

Not under load. They're such tiddly cells inside that their internal resistance is quite high.

Reply to
Skipweasel

So say if I were to run it off a 9V DC supply, say from the mains, it would probably die? Or heat up until it melted?

Reply to
Jake

I'd be tempted to do what the device says and run it at the stated 8V.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Yes, me too. But I was wondering what the tolerance would be for such devices, where its a DC adapter plugged into the mains. +/- 1V?

Reply to
Jake

In message , Jake writes

Does the spec sheet give the permitted min-max volts?

I reckon that 9V will be no problem at all. It's well within the sort of range I would expect an 8V unit to be happy with. The camera is a rubbish design if a mere 9V blows it up.

If you're really worried, stick a diode in series with the supply (between the regulator and the camera. That'll drop you around 0.7V (giving 8.3V)

Of course, if really do want 8V, use (say) a 6V regulator, and jack up the regulator common connection (which normally goes to 0V) to 2V, using a potential divider between the 8V output line and 0V. [Well, that's one way of doing it.]

Reply to
Ian Jackson

In message , Ian Jackson writes

A sudden pile of crap

Reply to
geoff

I'm sure these things will work from 6 to > 12v quite comfortably

Reply to
geoff

Like the incredibly crude early transistor radios and rev counters from the '60s? Strange they managed to survive...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it is designed to work off a 9 volt alkaline battery, it will work on a wide range of voltages.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When I took 'em apart after they failed, they all had some form of spike suppression on the power input. Usually a choke and a capacitor. Germanium transistors at that time really, really, needed protection.

The only recurring fault I ever met was on a Philips battery portable with a car dock, which suffered a failure rate of almost 100% on the final IF transformer after 5 yers or so. The dock had suppession components built in, and the failure wasn't related to using it in the car.

Reply to
John Williamson

In the 1960s, I made a simply windscreen wiper delay gizmo (one wipe, two wipes, and an adjustable delay between wipes). It worked fine.

I was just about to drill a hole through the dashboard and mount the control potentiometer, when I thought it might be a good idea to try it with the engine running. The wiping simply went berserk.

For some reason, I never got round to remedying the obvious problem, and my gizmo never got used. I've probably still got it somewhere.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

In message , John Williamson wrote

With a car battery that may run up to 14V and the required supply of 8V @ 125mA the device will be dissipating a 1 Watt. This also needs a heatsink and not just a sealed plastic enclosure.

Reply to
Alan

On the other hand, my 1990s precursor to Sat-Nav was an Amstrad PPC loaded with Autoroute and sitting on the front passenger seat from where I could read the screen. It was plugged into the cigarette lighter socket and never suffered in any way. Mind you, the bloomin' huge smoothing capacitor that I used with it might have had something to do with that.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

750mW, roughly. Thermal resistance, junction to free air, with no external heat sink, of the TO220FP package used in the kit is 60 C/Watt, so the junction will be at 45 - 50 C above case interior temperature. Within the manufacturer's acceptable limits of 150C for the junction, so make it a metal case, and don't forget the plastic bolt and electrically insulating washer holding the IC to the case, or make it a ventilated box ( Half a dozen 6mm holes top and bottom will do it) if you're paranoid.

The worst case scenario is that the IC's internal protection will shut it down.

Reply to
John Williamson