Powering a foreign wall clock

Friend has acquired an illuminated wall clock. Came with an 12v 1000mA wall wart adaptor.
It's hung on a stud wall and the wallwart wire drapes down untidily to a socket below.
Other side of the stud wall (or technically within it) are 2 light switches and an isolation switch for a cloakroom extractor fan.
It would be very nice to power the clock somehow from the mains in the wall or through the wall iyswim.
Clearly a 240/12v transformer is required but what possibilities are there for powering it from the existing wiring in the wall before presumably poking the wire through the skins of plasterboard to the rear of the clock....
TIA
Jim K

Well the fan isolator will have a permanent live and neutral. So where do you want to hide the transfomer?
--
Adam

/Well the fan isolator will have a permanent live and neutral. So where do you want to hide the transfomer? /Q
Indeed:-)
How about "hiding" the transformer in a double plastic pboard backbox, with a blanking plate on the front, 12v output out the back of it through the rest of the stud wall to the clock?
Cheers Jim K
JimK wrote:

It might over heat? maybe some slots in the cover plate would be a good precaution.

Not if it's a switch mode supply.

Makes more sense to get a switch mode replacement if it isn't.
Rod Speed wrote:

Switchers will still get warm in a place with no ventilation and this leads to early capacitor failure.
wrote

No they don't with such a low powered device.

Not when the caps are adequately rated.
Rod Speed wrote:

Even if specified at 105 degrees, they still fail. I changed two on commercial smpsus only this week and they were used in open air, and moderate ambient temps in known brand equipment - Netgear.
On Saturday, 17 October 2015 12:32:09 UTC+1, Bob Minchin wrote:

You're quite right. Rod's only trolling as always. But if you heavily underload a psu, the ripple current in the cap drops way down and the cap lives long.
This thread seems to lack a problem that needs solving.
NT

Nope.
<reams of your pathetic excuse for trolling flushed where it belongs>

You don't know that the power supply even needs any caps.
It could be supplying 12VAC for all you know.

Nope. We're discussing whether the supply to the clock can be installed in a backbox behind the clock so that it isn't visible with the clock in use. Of course its possible.
On Saturday, 17 October 2015 18:15:54 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

You're a moron

Obviously the op can put it where he likes. If he can't work that out he's got more problems than can be solved here. Though not as many as you.
NT
Is it a coincidence that your sig is the last 2 letters of a common derogatory term...
Jim K

Wota stunning line in rational argument you have there, gutless.

He appears to be asking what is legal and what will work.
He has had that answered.

Irrelevant to your original stupidity.
<reams of your pathetic excuse for trolling flushed where it belongs>
wrote

Not with that small a supply they don't.

I've got plenty that have never failed and are in use all the time like that one.

Depends on the type of illumination? The fact that it came with a 1 amp PS suggests it's not such a low powered device
--
*Re-elect nobody

The 1A 12V switch mode power supply for my router doesn’t get warm in a place with no ventilation.
If you get a power supply which runs cool as its over rated, then it might not matter as per some Halogen lights etc. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Sounds like a job for an angle grinder:-)
--
Adam

says...

Is the output of the "12V 1000mA wall wart" AC or DC? If the latter, a 240v/12v transformer is unlikely to give satisfaction.
--
Sam

JimK wrote:

Obviously you can put the wall wart on the other side of the wall and the cloakroom extractor circuit will be man enough to power it. Whether you can do it within regs is another matter. Presumably the wall wart has a foreign pin configuration so even if you found a socket to fit, you possibly can install it within regs. If you bought a UK one it would have 13amp pins on it but I doubt if a 13amp socket can be installed on the fan circuit even if correctly fused. you could fit a 5amp socket but possibly not get a match wall wart. If it were mine I'd just do it but it is up to your friend and his attitude to compliance with regs.