Power Flushing Prior to Installing a Condendensing Boiler

I am about to change out my boiler for a Kelson c 40 and have had a number of firms round quoting between =A34500 and =A36000 to replace my floor standing boiler. Our existing heating system is made up of a number of old cast iron rads fed by a single pipework which I believe to be mild steel and was installed about 1920s.

I have spoken to Kelson and they recommend power flushing prior to the installation of their product. However most of the plumber do not seem to agree, prefering to use chemicals to rinse out the system.

Also the use of a filter on the return - will this cause problems with the flow pressure, given the system I have.

Reply to
SMPW

What is clear is that the system should be clean before you put the new boiler on. To certain extent this will depend on the state of the existing system. Neither I nor Keston have seen this.

Whilst the age and materials used bode well for the existing system been clean the bore of the pipes is likely to ease things.

Given that you may be adding extra pipe work to go to a modern fully pumped twin pipe system, I would give consideration to removing the iron pipes. If this is not practical then there are still other lines of attack.

1) Firstly the system can be got clean by chemicals and/or power flushing. 2) You could go for a plate heat exchanger by the boiler, have a clean new primary for the new boiler and keep the old system intact.
Reply to
Ed Sirett