Potterton EP2002 Programmer - Intermittent fault

Hi all

I have a Potterton EP2002 Programmer, for controlling my central heating system, which has suddenly started to behave erratically. By that, I mean that it sometimes works continuously for perhaps tweleve hours and then stop working and the LCD goes blank. Other times, it runs for a few minutes and then stops before running again for another few minutes.

I'm buy no means an expert, but could anyone please reassure me that if I ordered a replacement programmer and attached it to the existing back plate, it would resolve the problem ?

I'm just guessing that it might be a capacitor or something within the programmer that has failed.

There have been a lot of thunderstorms in my area lately and I just wondered if that might be a contributory factor.

Could it be something else such as the rechargable battery that needs replacing or even the backplate itself that is not providing a good connection ?

I'd be very greatful if someone could please give me some advice on this one.

Best regards David

Reply to
Fresh_Air_Rider

To try and identify the problem, does the clock still keep time when the display goes blank?

Almost certainly.

The device will still work normally if the battery fails - except during a power cut.

It would certainly be worth isolating the circuit, removing the programmer and checking the security of the wiring to terminals, and that it's getting a constant power supply - although the battery should keep it going if this was the fault, and of course it wouldn't operate the heating.

But my guess would be a dry solder joint on the device PCB. It should be possible to fix this - if you're into electronics. But not economical to pay someone to do it.

If you do have to replace it you might consider doing so with the 6002 which has 7 day programming. Think it's the same price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)