Potatoes storage - OT but maybe not

See e.g. (although I saw it on the same minor freesat channel as the brick wall one)

Storing Vegetables Outdoors (Original), 1941

I don't think you can watch from the bfi site though :-(

#Paul

Reply to
news19k

Some potatoes are/were sprayed with a chemical to stop sprouting.

harry

I once grew a lot of poatatoes in the vegetable garden we had. Made slatted wooden crates to store them. Put them in the back of the garage. Rats got into them and destroyed a lot of them. I gave up after that

Reply to
billyorange007

You want something that keeps the spuds cool and in darkness and doesn?t allow the temperature to vary to much to the extremes. An old non functioning chest deep freeze can have a second life as insulated storage box for potatoes ideally inside a suitable shed .

GH

Reply to
Marland

And there may be tiny slugs inside the potatoes which will soon ruin the whole lot.

Commercial growers sterilize the soil before growing potatoes or veg

Reply to
Andrew

Unlikely for field grown spuds. Horticultural high value cut flowers and greenhouse compost more common.

Normal potato cropping rotation is something like once in 5 years to avoid a build up of harmful nematodes and pests such as slugs.

Currently, Michael Gove's ban on metaldehyde slug pellets has been lifted:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I blame global warming.

See if you can get a cheap secondhand wine chiller fridge, rip out all the wine stands and put the sack of spuds in that. That'll stop 'em sprouting.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Not if it has a clear glass panel in the door it won't.

Reply to
Andrew