posthole spade or post hole auger/borer?

I need to dig 5 holes for 1m high picket fence - which of these tools works most effectively?

Also is concreting them def the best option to do as opposed to packed gravel/earth?

Reply to
eden

If only 1m high, what about Metposts?

Reply to
Fredxx

eden coughed up some electrons that declared:

I used a posthole spade from Wickes and found it most effective - the holes weren't that much larger than the post. For 5 holes it's a reasonable tool to use.

Would have though gravel for a 1m fence. Someone will be along to mention a specific type probably. If the post becomes loose, the gravel moves and tends to reset and firm up.

Good drainage means less rot too.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

If you are going out to buy them, then I'd recommend neither if you only want 5 holes. I use a small spade, approx 6 inches across the face, works well, then if needed, a long handled trowel to reach down below around 18inches.

Depends how deep you are going, and the state of the ground around the holes. If very sandy/loose soil, then a concrete mix would be better (dont mix it too strong, as it will be a swine to break up if you ever want to get it out, probably a 6/1 ballast/cement mix) In hard packed/clay soil, then for a 1 metre high fence, a post stuck in

2 feet, surrounded with bricks rammed down should be fine without cement. Far easier to just use a bit of ballast/cement for each hole. You know they are not going to move then. Dont wet the bellast/cement mix, just pour it in dry, ram it down, then when all is level, pour water around the hole. Alan.
Reply to
A.Lee

I use one of these - amazing bit of kit. £20 for 5 holes, but you could sell it afterwards.

> Also is concreting them def the best option to do as opposed to packed > gravel/earth?

Postcrete is the simple & quick answer

The Medway Handyman

Soil is in ex-brickfields area so am assuming with be clayish.

Dave - I'm in Medway too - where's best place to buy Postcrete? and would half a bag be enough per post?

Reply to
eden

Sorry, just noticed you suggest Wickes!!!!!

Reply to
eden

Depends a lot on soil conditions and whether you are likely to encounter many plant roots. Another factor is wind exposure - you might need deep holes and concrete.

If soil conditions are tough, I found a drainage shovel

for dislodging difficult bits - the levering action also tends to compact the sides of the hole as you attack the bottom, resulting in clean, deep, solid holes.

Reply to
RubberBiker

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Reply to
Tim S

I see other more knowledgeable replies than I could muster, but...

Is there a reason you couldn't just bash the posts in with a fencing maul?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Wickes in Chatham or Bats in Strood. If you want to borrow my post hole digger you are welcome.

For a 1 metre post half a bag would be fine.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I deal with 'difficult' bits with 'spike'

or with 'The Brute'

The Medway Handyman

I have a post hole borer which I inherited from my Dad. Ask around, you may find a friend/neighbour has one, and they are excellent tools to borrow (only needed occasionally, difficult to damage much). Mine is an open cylinder about six inches across and four inches high, with teeth on the bottom of the cylinder. There is then a T-shaped handle (about three feet long and high) attached the cylinder. Rotate the handle, the teeth dig into the ground and pack the soil into the cylinder. Lift it out, shake the soil out. Repeat.

It's very easy to use, but nobody seems to have that design any more.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

I've put in all of mine with one of those - and a hand trowel. We're on sand, with mixed stones and a lot of odd roots. I don't think a borer would go through, and I've never tried a post spade.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Innit wonderful what a 4' long 2" diameter steel bar can do :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

yeh, but you need to be built like a brick sh*thouse to wield one like that for sustained periods! I've got a 5ft long bar that has a 2 inch tamper on one end and a chisel point on the other. The chisel softens up the contents of the hole to make removal with a post spade much easier.

Once you get below a foot deep, you can forget using a trowel unless you like digging whilst laying on your belly. May as well be using a spoon.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling

I borrowed an auger to use in clay soil in West London; dead easy, like drilling putty.

Suitably impressed, I borrowed it again to use in gravelly soil in Essex; utter rubbish.

I got a long narrow spade, intended for digging cable trenches and have used that since. I dislike Metposts since you have little control over their direction and tilt once you've started driving them in. You can always adjust a post in concrete a little. I've used Metposts set in concrete.

Reply to
Onetap

OK for agricultural fence posts which are tough (being rounded off bits of tree) and have a point at one end, though proper post thumpers are better. Picket fence is likely to use a sawn post with a square end.

Reply to
newshound

I used a 1m 22 mm dia masonry drill last time I had some hard stony ground to get through. I also have a post hole digger and it is really easy to get the stuff out.

Reply to
dennis

Thats where the post hole digger comes in.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman