Post box- built in

I am in the process of building a front wall. It will be 9" thick and have end piers/posts of two or two and a half bricks square .

I am considering having a 'built' in post box. I assume these exist, though not in the Screwfix catalogue. Anyone installed one or know where they can be purchased.

Comments please.

mark

Reply to
mark

If the postman is prepared to come to the front door - then consider the dis-advantages - such as wanting your mail in the winter when you don't want to get dressed. Also consider the depth of any such box with regard to newspapers. (just a thought)

Reply to
John

Also check out the lock. Argos for example sell 10 different surface mounted post boxes - all of which open with the same key, hardy a step forward in identity theft prevention.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A relative purchased an old Royal Mail post box and had the builder incorporate it into his (new) house wall just outside the front door. He was told by the supplier (an architectural salvage company) to paint it any colour except pillar box red, which is apparently a Royal Mail requirement. Being a contrary type, he painted it exactly that colour. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

try

look at "Through The Wall" (and others)

Reply to
Robin

Did he not end up with people posting letters into it? There are a number of houses near me with fully-functioning Royal Mail boxes built into them.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

I thought that might happen, but he lives on a small private estate with no public access. It's a cul-de-sac with no public right of way through it. 15 years on, nobody has ever posted a letter in the box hoping that the Royal Mail would collect it!

Reply to
Bruce

So add a bit of automation ....

Reply to
Adrian C

Well - that would help when you are feeling really poorly - yet you know there is some mail for you - but you have flu and can't find the energy to put your coat on to go and get your mail - but the cost would buy you a gold plated letterbox for your front door.

Alternatively - have a holiday in Florida and buy a Dolphin, Seahorse or a Manatee shaped mailbox. In the US there is the advantage that mail is collected from your outside mailbox - as well as delivered. However, I don't think it is a daily service.

John