Possible problem

Perhaps some of you would be kind enough to advise me on a quandary. Two weeks ago the flexible hoses leading to a Smiths kickspace heater in our kitchen started to leak. Smiths sent me replacements FOC agreeing that they had received a bad batch at the time of my purchase. Having now inspected the old hoses I find that the plastic tube inside the fancy SS braiding has completely broken down, hence causing the leak. This internal breakdown has led to thousands of particles of varying size falling from the inside walls. I noticed a lot of these particles in the water that was released by the heater when I disconnected it.

My worry now is that all this crap floating around inside my heating system could damage the heat exchanger in the just out of warranty condensing boiler!

Any thoughts appreciated.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Well you could either drain the system down and refill it, or you could fit a strainer in the pipework & clean periodically. In commercial sytems this is normal practice anyway.

idea, but having run the system for a week now isn't it too late for a filter to help?

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Some boilers have a strainer already in their innards. Does yours?

Reply to
cynic

It wouldn't hurt to mention your findings to Smiths, in a polite but not-yet-accusing manner, and invite their opinion on the matter.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

For what? They have admitted that the hoses were inferior and have replaced them FOC. There has not being any other damage caused (yet).

I'd certainly get back in touch with the maker, in good old writing (ink and paper not email) and indicate that you hold them liable for consequential damage to the heating system or that they pay to have the system fully flushed to remove the debris.

I do wonder how far the debris has gone though. Perhaps what came out when the hoses were changed had just flaked off due to the flexing etc as they were removed. Maybe very little debris has actually got into the system.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have now had a reply from the heater manufacturer denying their hoses could cause such a problem. I may need to send a hose for "independent testing" but have no idea if such a tester exists. Any suggestions?

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Just flush out your heating system. They are probably buoyant large particles, compared with magnetite sludge, and should be swept along and out by the water flow.

It would be satisfying to hold the suppliers accountable, but they will have slippery lawyers and innumerable routes to escape from their obligations. They will blame your water treatment chemicals, point to T&C disclaiming liability for damages, etc., etc.. Even if you do eventually and at great cost, prove they are responsible, you still have a duty to mitigate the losses. Flushing through, to prevent further damage, should do this. Add inhibitor.

Does the fan conventor bounce around so much that it needs flexible hoses? I'd return it and demand a refund if the installation instructions require hose connections.

I think it would be a waste of money pursuing them for damages, but IANAL and it's your money.

There has been a history of flexible tap connectors causing contamination in potable water system due to dodgy 'rubber' compounds. I can't imagine any circumstances under which I'd permit one to be fitted to a heating system.

Reply to
Onetap

The fan convector does not move or even vibrate at all in use. The flexible hoses just make installation easy. Using solid tube to connect it in the confined space under a kitchen unit would require far better dexterity than I have!

I will flush the system myself, I need to add more Fernox anyway as I don't know how much was lost during the leak.

Any suggestions for achieving the best results? Are these flushing chemicals I have seen around worth buying?

Its an open vented system so I assume I just turn off the top up supply, open all the radiators, then drain via a length of hose pipe. I have read of folk back flushing by simply attaching the drain hose to a tap and forcing water back up the system, letting it drain again then repeating. Is this recommended?

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike