Pop up wastes.

In message <lLKdnZDQpOksDA snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, Jimk snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

There is also a toilet in there!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Please sir, I do!

Or rather, I brush my teeth at the washbasin and spit down the plughole at the end of my shower. (We didn't need to know that. TMI - Ed.)

Most definitely needing sensitive-style toothpaste these days, I keep those active ingredients swilling around my molars as long as I reasonably can.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I agree with you. But the house came with one already supplied and on the principle of if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it however annoying it is, I figure it can stay there until it is broke.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

As has been said, modestly priced basins come equipped with them. I suppose I should have asked if better versions are available.

I think simple plugs have passed along with snail mail, roadside telephone boxes, single channel TV etc. Probably spawning an industry of mobile adepts ready to sort out the mess the elderly have made of plugging in a modern TV:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I find that when they start sticking shut it?s usually because the shaft has got very slightly bent making the O-ring bind on one side of the plug hole. I?ve always fixed mine with a combination of eyeballing and gently straightening the shaft to make sure that the plug is concentric with the hole.

Never had to replace a pop-up plug in the 10 years that we?ve had them.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In last house, pop-up wastes in bathroom & WC, I fitted them and they were fine for over ten years.

Current house, I replaced the push-up wastes by pop-ups. Four years and fine.

The issue that got me was the extremely fine rubber band on the bath plug - supplied as pat of the waste fitting. Nicely made in every other way but they just failed after a few months. When I contacted Bristan they supplied a whole new waste when all I needed was a single O-ring.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I find that using liguid soap keeps the drains a lot clearer than greasy fat based soild soaps.

Reply to
JohnP

I find that liquid soap is pretty useless at actually getting dirt off though.

Reply to
Chris Green

In message <XnsAC725E5F62E8DJohPnowherecom@81.171.92.236>, JohnP snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com writes

Hmm. Very little soap of any sort going down my bathroom basin! Swarfega/agricultural dirt is restricted to the utility area and I shower for the other bits.

I think it must be a design/manufacturing issue with modestly priced versions a couple of years back. I keep meaning to check where they were purchased but the moment has not arrived.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A shower is fine for sort of rinsing oneself to remove perspiration etc. but, IMHO, no good at all for removing serious dirt from hands, feet, knees, etc.

Reply to
Chris Green

Don't find that at all. Only got the one - bathroom basin - and that needs clearing regulary. Even with now using liquid soap only.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

If you use a decent shower gel, you'll find the action of cleaning your body with it also cleans your hands.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Not the sort of dirt I get on my hands sometimes!. Having got the worst off in the utility room when I come in from garage/garden then I have a bath in the evening where I use a scrubbing brush to clean off the ground in dirt on my fingers, under nails, etc. Same applies to knees and feet, they don't get used for 'cleaning my body' anyway.

Reply to
Chris Green

+1 I'm sure that some of these liquid soaps are totally waterproof.
Reply to
alan_m

If your hands are that dirty, I'd suggest you clean them first with a proprietary hand cleaner like Swarfega before washing the rest of yourself.

BTW, if your feet get similarly dirty, I'd suggest ditching the sandals and wear proper protective footwear. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News