Poor design

The Met's website has a "Stats and data" section.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

We all know why, be we aren't allowed to say.

Bill

Reply to
wrights...

Import the Third World, get Third World behaviour

Bill

Reply to
wrights...

But doesnt show the RATE, so you can't compare it with the rest of europe, let alone by city.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I remember that there was one of these advertised at a filling station near to where I used to live, for night usage. It didn't last long and it was reported that it was not too good at detecting forged notes, maybe even modified photo-copied notes. It was long before home computing and printers were common.

Reply to
alan_m

A number of years ago, I was in Bradford in a BBC technical vehicle waiting for somebody to come home. I was parked near a school and the pupils (students) came out in two distinct groups. One group said "bloody BBC let's throw a brick" The other group said "This looks interesting, how could we get a job of this type?"

The well behaved ones had the darker skins.

Reply to
charles

In message <_FyrN.13729$ snipped-for-privacy@fx14.ams, at 18:42:01 on Mon, 22 Jan

2024, Sam Plusnet snipped-for-privacy@home.com remarked:

Unsually to replace the non-locking cap which came with the car.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message snipped-for-privacy@perry.uk, Roland Perry snipped-for-privacy@perry.co.uk> writes

It looks like my Fiesta is deliberately 'capless' (like this).

INNOVATION FORD EASY-FUEL With Ford Easy-Fuel it's almost impossible to fill your Ford with the wrong fuel. Our design will fit only the correct fuel pump nozzle. Easy-fuel is also a capless system, so you'll never have to handle a fuel cap again.

I guess that 'lockless' is also an 'innovation'.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Shaves almost 10p off the car costs.

I see that the Ford Ecoboost engine is getting the slating many think it deserves..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. However, quite a few petrol stations (particularly at supermarkets), run the petrol station unmanned and purely pay-at-pump overnight.

Reply to
SteveW

Since 1984.

I have actually had one where I had to buy a locking cap, but that was because I built the car myself, there was no other system on the filler and it was a requirement to put it through SVA to be able to register it. I did not include that one in my original statement, because it was not a standard car.

Reply to
SteveW

In message <uoop6p$1bh41$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, at 16:23:52 on Tue, 23 Jan

2024, SteveW snipped-for-privacy@walker-family.me.uk> remarked:

I rented a Ford Granada for a particular trip in around 1980, and someone siphoned out the petrol overnight. So it couldn't have had either. The first car I drove regularly was my parent's ADO16 from

1970 (it was soon replaced by an Allegro).
Reply to
Roland Perry

From memory, I think it was during the '80s that manufacturer fitted locking caps and flaps became the norm.

Certainly by the end of the '90s, it was a requirement for passing the test to be able to register a kitcar for road use. Whether that applies to normal cars, I don't know.

Reply to
SteveW

It does however seem that Ford has got round it all. By claiming that the filler design makes it impossible to siphon fuel

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It no longer matters anyway, as they just drill a hole in the modern, plastic, petrol tanks and drain them that way.

Reply to
SteveW

Which leaves the remaining fuel to drain away and pollute the area.

Reply to
maus

I think you should search them out and smack their botties!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

spot welding EML in the fill tube makes syphoning more or less impossible.

Reply to
Animal

EML?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

But also complicates getting the tank emptied out in cases of misfueling.

Reply to
SteveW