Poor design

Neither are in Europe, stupid.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The gunfire in SA would keep you awake.

They love their Brinks truck (cash-in-transit) holdups.

You see, there is the movies. We all like to go to the movies. Whereas, this is real. Talk about your new-hire promotional material... What are the fringe benefits of a job like this ??? The second link is an article that explains not all the cash-in-transit vehicles have bullet-resistant glass.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Weirdly Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia are very high for europe

Reply to
Rod Speed

Are you American? Your grasp of geography is very poor!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oh, right.

In which part of Europe are those places?

In London, it's knives, I'm afraid.

Some guns, that's true.

But knives are the murder weapon of choice.

Reply to
JNugent

That's arranged by country.

London is a city (of sorts)

Reply to
JNugent

JNugent snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote

I couldn't find anything that had the RATE with just London

Plenty with the number but that's not useful for comparison.

Reply to
Rod Speed

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, at 18:19:21 on Sun, 21 Jan 2024, Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@streater.me.uk> remarked:

Unmanned petrol stations are quite unusual. The only one I've encountered locally is at Sainsbury's.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message <ZsxdS+ snipped-for-privacy@brattleho.plus.com>, at 20:02:39 on Sun, 21 Jan 2024, Ian Jackson snipped-for-privacy@g3ohx.co.uk> remarked:

most

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message <uojkne$8sdi$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, at 17:36:46 on Sun, 21 Jan

2024, Andrew snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com remarked:

My car has the same scheme for the ad-blue tank as the fuel (warning message when getting low, and a readout available of how many miles left).

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message <uojhg2$87d4$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, at 16:41:38 on Sun, 21 Jan

2024, SteveW snipped-for-privacy@walker-family.me.uk> remarked:

Could we have a timeline on that?

I've owned cars since around 1975 (and before then my parents had cars) and there have been all sorts of different arrangements - from no flaps at all, to overcomplicated release mechanisms. One you even had to take the [bench-]seat cushion out, to fill the tank which was underneath.

One of the aftermarket accessories it was common to buy was a locking

*cap*.
Reply to
Roland Perry

The speed varies from model to model, and on some is user adjustable. I've seen from 5 *k*ph to 20 *m*ph.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Yes, it's difficult.

It's a bit more obvious when you are seeing the reports on TV, hearing them on the radio and reading about them in the press.

There's a case in the news just today. And there was one last week.

Reply to
JNugent

I've only encountered one and that was many years ago when pay at the pump wasn't that common place.

I assume that in the UK the model for a filling station is to normally have a shop attached to maximise the money taken. The shop is staffed.

Reply to
alan_m

I know of a couple, where the petrol station is some distance from the supermarket it's associated with, the pumps are covered by CCTV (but that's not unusual) and enabled per sale by a "remote" operative, whether that's someone within the store, or in a call-centre, or even working from home, I wouldn't know ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Possible the figure is very low when every murder is reported nationally.

Reply to
alan_m

JNugent snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote

But that doesn't work with the rest of europe so no way to compare.

I was very surprised about Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, never had any hint of that happening there.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Every so often, the media report figures put out by the Met that x numbers of stabbings / knife murders have been committed in London since New year's Day.

How "low" would be low enough?

Reply to
JNugent

There was one somewhere on the A1 back in 1970. Payment was by inserting a pound note[1] into a reader which (we assumed) scanned for the metallic strip.

[1] Good for around 3 gallons of petrol at the time.
Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Useful to replace the locking cap which came with the car - but was lost when the forgetful driver filled up and drove away having forgotten to replace it. DAMHIK

Reply to
Sam Plusnet