Plwood Grades

Hi,

Looking to build some kitchen cabinet carcasses out of 3/4 inch plywood. Can ayone recommend a suitable grade of plywood or explain what the various terms used to describe plywood (such as B/C CP/CP) mean?

Cheers

Reply to
flash

By eck thats going to be expensive?

This might help

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Personally, I'd either use MDF or real wood.

Wouldn't ply have much of the expense of real wood without the nice grain (particularly end grain), and lack of splinters?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The plan is to build plywood boxes that then have oak face frames and doors. This is going on the info in Jim Tolpins book on Building Traditional Kitchen cabinets.

Reply to
flash

I'm sure any specification of plywood would be suitable structurally, so it is really only appearance that matters, I would have thought. I think you'd be best actually going down to the shop and looking for sheets with a grain that suits, rather than buying blind on the web.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I use BB/CC Far Eastern Ply Ext WBP 'LEGAL'. At 18mm it costs me =A325 a sheet of 2440x1220 delivered. I edge it with 10mm of solid hardwood on the front after painting the inside with primer-undercoat-gloss.

I think the BB and CC refer to the two sides, one is BB and the other CC. I guess AA is the best grade, but this works well for me.

Oh yes, and remember that it isn't 3/4 inch (19mm), so if you are routing housings, you'll need a proper 18mm cutter or make two passes with something smaller.

R.

Reply to
Richard A Downing

Thanks for that, very useful. Where do you get your plywood from?

Reply to
flash

Local Builder Merchant: J.T.Atkinson, trades as Althams in Cockermouth and Penrith, and also Middlesbrough and Northallerton. Not a lot of use if you're in Plymouth mind. :-) I used to get similar from Arnold Laver in Reading, but I can't remember the price.

R.

Reply to
Richard A Downing