gas supply pipe

I was contemplating replacing my rather aged Potterton Lynx with a nice new boiler. Browsing through the install information for the Worcester combis. I see that they can require a 22mm gas feed from the meter. Is this a typical requirement ? The Lynx boiler has what appears to be a

15mm gas pipe, which is completly concealed in the wall , replacing this would be a major PITA I reckon... So my question is... What Kw output can you get from a 15mm pipe these days, Or more specifically what boiler will work on that size pipe ?

Simon

Reply to
srp

It's more complex than that. The resistance of pipes to gas flow goes up very fast as you shrink the pipe diameter and increase the demand . There are ways to calculate the size of pipe you need available on the web. It also depends on how many elbow joints are in the path, and what other appliances using gas spur off from the main 22mm supply pipe.

Typically you can get away with 22mm pipe from the gas meter to within 1m of the boiler, then feed it with a 15mm pipe, but you'd be better off Googling a bit to find a website with a set of formulas or reckoning tables on it.

Andy

Reply to
andrewpreece

You have to look at the lengths of the various sections of pipe to know that.

If the 15mm length is very short, it may not matter, but flow gets much worse with length.

There is a useful application note on the Copper Development Association web site on how to calculate this in accordance witht eh requirement to achieve no more than a 1mB pressure drop.

Andy Hall

Yes, but see FAQ.

The Lynx boiler has what appears to be a

Gas rates will be similar so pipe work should be the same but existing installation is probably sub-standard.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

"andrewpreece" wrote in news:42f20039@212.67.96.135:

Not disagreeing with you on a logical or practical basis (I don't claim to know enough to do so!), but the WB installation instructions are categoric that this is not allowed.

Reply to
Rod

Hi, have to run gas to an island cooker. Floor is concrete. Anybody know regs for putting pipe in floor re insulation, depth etc. Thanks all

Reply to
sploop

All I konw is that it shouldn't have joints if possible..if it does then they MUST be soldered.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

..and the copper mustn't come into direct contact with the concrete...

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

Nope, but do run two, so you've got a spare! (This particularly applies to the water pipework, if applicable).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Why, what happens to copper in contact with concrete?

R.

Reply to
Richard A Downing

It eats the copper pipe.

A friend is waiting for the plumber to dig his 15 foot hallway up at this moment to replace the mains in. Vax is his friend.

Reply to
EricP

That sounds like a sleeve, tight fitting no room for gas to collect??? Any ideas what type ans fit??? Thanks guys

Reply to
sploop

Corrodes. The solution is to wrap in Denso tape or equivalent to protect it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If you need to ask this, maybe you should get a CORGI in to do the work?

You can get upvc channel that you embed in the concrete, with a cover that fixes over the top. No problems then with the pipe being in contact with the concrete, and it should be accessible later depending on the floor covering. If you intend to embed the pipe in cement, either wrap in Denso tape, or buy yellow plastic sleeved copper. BES sell it. I'd fit an isolating 1/4 turn gas valve before the point where it goes into the floor, so you can cut it off later. You'll also need to use fixed pipework all the way to the hob - no flexible or demountable connectors allowed.

You'll also need to check the pressure drop - don't assume 15mm is sufficient. Also don't assume you can't use 10 or even 8mm pipe instead

- but you won't know without doing the calcs.

-Antony

Reply to
Antony