Plumbing - re using olives?

That's basically what Boss White is, isn't it - judging by the smell?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Is this the Drivel HandtPlumber's business?

I never use anything on new pipe and olives. For "difficult" pipe like chromed copper, I use brass olives, not copper, and veer to undertightening the joint then apply a few tweaks to stop any final weeping. Plain copper pipe has never caused me any problems. Only time I've every needed to bodge a joint was redoing old ones.

LSX is not for copper work at all. Has its uses on drain/overflow fittings though.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Actually, it's because they are using untrained/unqualified plumbers, who don't understand how compression fittings work or how to use them. Unfortunately, that's very common, which is why leaky compression fittings are not uncommon.

Lubricating the non-sealing surfaces such as the threads and the half of the olive further out from the joint would be OK with a water connection. For lubrication, you want a lubricant, not a sealant.

However, it's illegal with gas as you can't prove you didn't get it into the sealing surfaces which must be dry and clean, or the joint won't conform to the British Standard, which is a legal requirement for gas work.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's a lubricant, and as a solid and very visible lubricant, it makes it easier to make sure it doesn't get into the sealing surfaces. Also, if you have to strip apart and reassemble for any reason, it's easily all removed for cleanup, again to make sure it doesn't get into the sealing surfaces.

One or two turns of the thin PTFE is all that's required, as you don't want to jam the screw thread which would be counter productive.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel
[Snip]

Then why is there "Gas PTFE" tape on the market?

Reply to
charles

Whiting and Linseed oil - exactly right but why expect sense?

Reply to
cynic

It's for gas joints which require a sealant, such as screwed joints which are designed to seal along the thread (unlike compression fittings).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Sounds like it.

You can remove the chrome by heating the end of pipe, then dipping it into concentrated hydrochloric acid as far as you need it clear. Obviously, this needs to be done with great care and while wearing such personal safety equipment as you feel is necessary.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

But you an idiot amateur who expects the pipe and fitting to precision made. Pro use sealant on all compression joints. Another tip is use quality products like Conex, who the extra. Some hospitals only specify Conex or Kutelite. Look at the prices, look at the fitting and you see why. But you need quality pipe as well for them to seal properly "without" sealant. Pipe fitters still put a smear of Jet Blue on them as well to be sure. The last thing they want is a drain down because of a weep.

Look at the sales blurb. It is cheaper to buy a quality clear silicon tube which is massive in size.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Actually it because you are an amateur who thinks he knows it all.

The OP is best only to read my posts on this. He will not go wrong.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Correct. But all pipe fitters use Jet Blue on gas compression joints - suitable for gas.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Its been ages since I used that stuff. The 2 main ingredients in linseed putty are edible, but the chemical drier isnt.

NT

Reply to
NT

So if he follows your advice on cutting PEX tube he won't have a leaking mess? Odd that when you tried it you ended up with a massive leak because of your inability to read an instruction leaflet, innit?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Oh look! A k*****ad!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You forgot to include the dash> before your sig.

Reply to
Paul Herber

lol nice one

Reply to
Ghostrecon

Agreed, if the original fitter hasn't murdered the thing up it'll probably be OK but if there are signs that the tube has deformed the chances are very much slimmer that it will be OK to reuse.

Getting old olives off, you can get pullers that utilise the nut but I can't see them working particularly well if the tube is deformed at all. Olive cutters are available, they should work but if the tube is deformed you'll probably have to cut it back anyway... Same with a 45 degree junior hack saw cut and twisting screwdriver.

Bottom line if the joint was only just nipped up then reuse is a distinct possibilty if really tightened then probably not. A clue will be given by how easy the nut is to loosen, if you just nudge it with a spanner and off it comes with your fingers that is good for reuse.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Gosh, when did they let you out dribble?

It being one of the most slippery substances around actually works very well as a lubricant. It also stays where you put it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Why not?

"Ideal for use on compression joints and screwed fittings". (I agree it shouldn't be necessary with new joints on new pipe.)

See also

Alan Braggins

Thanks for confirming what everyone else is saying.

Possible, but unlikely.

Thanks for confirming what everyone else is saying.

Reply to
Man at B&Q