"Plug socket"

But it has been for years anyway, Police Station for over 150 years, Fire Stations and Ambulance Stations not far behind. Coach station more recent but still around 80 years.

Train station grates with many but like many terms the US influence has penetrated too far to reverse, I have heard it suggested that even in the US it was far from universal with Railroad Depot often being used in more rural areas.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Well quite. And the meaning of "station" depends on the context. If one copper on duty says to another that he's going to the station, the first copper isn't going to assume that his mate is getting the 8.10 to London.

Just need to be more robust with such people and tell them to eff off, unless they are bigger than you in which case it's eff off SIR!

Reply to
Tim Streater

I thought I read or heard last year the BBC had directed its staff that Railway Station should be the preferred term, seems to have made no difference on the local station, whoops there's another one, Radio Station around here. The twenty something's have probably grown up with it but one of the main users of the term is in his fifties. No point in complaining to him, I never got a reply by suggesting the Police track Every breathe you Take was a particularly inappropriate tune to play immediately after a news item about stalking.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

There's another one where it's obvious what you mean by "local station".

Reply to
Tim Streater

'There has been a fire at your local station'

Given I have a fire station, police station, tube station and rail station all nearby, which one would it be 'obvious' to you 'they' meant?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

With no repairs others than consumables? Perhaps they've improved their quality.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Correct, no repairs and still got the original filter.

Reply to
Bod

We have a DC01, bought about 19 years ago, still working well. The relative who recommended it to me still has his even older one, and it's also still in regular use.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Who was saying that and to whom were they saying it?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Mine needed the power cable to be shortened by about 6" and rewired into the machine (somehow it had frayed and shorted). It also needed a new flexible hose (old one had split). That's in 20 years.

Only actually got rid of it because it was a bit heavy and noisy in today's terms, and the bit you actually run along teh floor was showing signs of wear.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I didn't ship a 50's Hoover constellation home from S Africa in 1983 because it was too heavy. It still worked perfectly.

Let's face it, its a disgrace that Dysons have so many spare parts. Back in the day all that wore out was the rotating brush, the rubber belt, sometimes the bag, and the carbon brushes in the motor.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Tim Streater writes

Perhaps it is just me, but 'the station' always means the railway station to me. Any other station requires qualification.

Reply to
Graeme

It does depend how you treat them I guess, I was dysoning up after using pa int stripper on my door, not sure if that will efect the plastic it certain ly made my food go a bit red through my socks so maybe it'll do something t o the hose too, but it won;t stop me using it. I used my DC05 and the hose split there was a screw I;d dysoned up sticking slightly out of it and wedbed in an awakward place so I traded it in at ag ros for a new one. My portable one rolled down the stairs a week ago and st ill works OK. They might not be the best cleaners but everyone I know personlly is very p leased with them and say they work much better than there previous cleaner. I am tempted by the G-tech advertised on TV but it's about the same price as a dyson at £300 .

Reply to
whisky-dave

David Bowie had an album called station to station maybe the drugs confused him too.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Will depend a lot on where you live and if you use the train occasionally, since the 1960's many areas of the country don't have a railway station for miles and lots people under 50 have never been on a train. Someone living in some place like Clovelly could when they say "I'm going down the station" mean they are off to lifeboat drill and their neighbours would understand.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Do they actually say 'station stop' often?

Who are they?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

If a train stops in a station but that is an unscheduled stop and no-one is allowed to board or alight, is that a station stop?

Reply to
polygonum

What have this to do with anything?

You mean that it's a disgrace that it's easy to buy spare parts?

Reply to
Tim Streater

But that because (I assume) you, like me, are an ordinary bod who normally has nothing to do with any other sort of station.

As I hinted before, it's a question of context. Two coppers will be talking about the police station, two firemen about the fire station. If they mean any other sort of station then they'll qualify as needed.

All this is bleeding obvious.

Reply to
Tim Streater