PLEQ Bulbs

Been looking online for some high-power (>40w equivalent) CFL bulbs for an SES fitting. Keep getting offered PLEQ bulbs but for the life of me cannot find what it stands for. Can anone enlighten me.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Poor Light Emission Quality.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

As their USP seems to be they occupy the same space as a "normal" lightbulb, I would hazard a guess the "EQ" bit is "equivalent". Something like "Physical Length Equivalent" is probably close but I don't know.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

The highest I had seen for some time were in IKEA. They have an an outer glass bulb with a diffusing rubber coating on it, which easily peels off if you don't need it (and should improve the light output a few percent). IIRC, they were 11W.

However, I have seen some higher power ones in our local hardware store, but they are a never-heard-of make (which I've since forgotten). I think they might have been 15 or 18W, but I can't recall that either. So, don't dismiss the idea of looking in local shops.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andrew saying something like:

Plenty Lightfoot Equals Queens.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

CFL:

2U (PLEC) 3U (PLET) 4U (PLEQ)

I've no idea what it means though.

mark

Reply to
mark

AHA! It seems to be the number of U shaped folded tubes on the fitment (2/3/4 - ??/Triple/Quad). Except the only image I saw for a PLEC had ONE U shaped tube and "C" doesn't really conform. But it's roughly that. As for the PLE bit...

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I should not worry about images. The Screwfix image of a 230V belle cement mixer has a pull start on it!

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth