Plastic tubs

I have a number of the ubiquitous plastic tubs similar to these:

but all seem to eventually split near the handles after moderate domestic use around the garden.

Has anyone found any that are longer-lasting, at a sensible price?

I am not really happy to say "They're cheap, just send them to landfill."

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I thought it was just me that snapped the handles off them.

I have solved it by drilling a few holes in the sides and reinforcing the handle with plastic coated gardening wire. I also use wire staples to rejoin any splits in the sides.

Basically we shouldn't be filling them so full, but it happens...

Reply to
Martin Brown

The whole idea of them being cheap is so you can send them to the tip and buy new ones.

I don't like the expression 'landfill'. It makes it sound as if it's something bad. When I was a kid there was a council tip near school and we used to go on it to see what we could find. They were tipping to a depth of about 20 feet. We got lots of good stuff from it, bike parts, wirelesses, dead U2s (put them in the oven to make them work then sell them to the other kids for their bike lamps). Anyway, I digress. The parts of the field that hadn't been tipped on used to flood most years, otherwise there would have been houses there. But there are houses now because thanks to the tipping the ground is about 15ft higher. Here and there are pipes sticking up about 20 foot, and each one has a gas flame, which is lovely for the residents at Christmas.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Yes does seem a little wasteful though, to burn off the methane when assumedly one could use it for something a bit more interesting and greener than just a flame. People near me are happily living over a clay quarry, and I gather few even realise. If they knew what crap went into the bottom of that hole followed by old clinkers from coal power stations before the soil, I doubt if they would be very happy. In one place the road is already dipping and cracking and at least one house lost its porch into a very deep hole which they blamed on a spring. Well smoke and fire come to mind, but then it was when I were a kid and there was no housing there for years just a lot of light industry. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa