Plastic Boxes for Cordless Drills, Sanders, etc etc?

I have most of my cordless tools stored in cardboard boxes. I've been unsuccessful - despite contacting manufacturers- to obtain this item in plastic though I'm sure I've seen them somewhere. I'd appreciate someone advising a source. Regards Jon.

Reply to
Jonathon

Generally sold as hard shell cases, or transport cases. However, at the prices I have for them, it might be cheaper to buy a new tool that comes with a plastic case.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Plenty of places do generic power tool cases:

is often a good start - you can often get cast off cases. Places like Makro often have sets of three ali clad briefcase style cases at about £16.

Reply to
John Rumm

Do you want blow moulded boxes that contain an imprint of the tool and have accesory storeage as well? Or would a generic box do, in which case have a look at the Really Useful Box range. There is quite a lot of sizes and shapes standardise on one and they'll stack nicely together.

that the stacking between sizes may or may not work. Staples normally have a good range so you could play lego there. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I buy power tools (mostly Bosch) that come with good cases. A good case won't make me buy a bad tool, but it's one of the things that does improve with the better tools.

Others are housed in a variety of things, including "posh Tupperware" of varying forms, charity shop hardshell briefcases, old power tool cases from dead tools, and ammo boxes (which aren't usually much good, so be fussy when selecting).

I've little use for blow-moulded cases. They're handy for shipping, as they improve impact resistance, but they're usually flimsy and awkward to fasten.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Speaking of which the case for the Bosch PMF180 multi tool is the most horrible blow moulded plastic box for a power tool that I've ever come across. What do others think?

Reply to
tinnews

Most of my recent Bosch is blue (injection moulded, not blow moulded) and I've not seen a PMF 180 case, but some recent green Bosch has been very nasty indeed.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It's a job to know how to fit things in it. The tool itself is not too bad but getting the power cord to stay put is a nightmare. The compartment for blades is awkward and tends to try to put one half of the blade in one slot and the other in a different slot - hence the lid won't close. But, the case hasn't dropped to pieces yet!

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

I think its one of the better ones :-)

The worst is the case for my B&D planer!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I find tool 'bags' much better than 'boxes'. Bags have the advantage of pockets for chuck keys, allen keys etc and are easier to 'squish' into a cramped van.

I like to keep everything required for a particular power tool in the same bag/box.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

One thing I would strongly reccomend are the Velcro ties you can get in B&Q. Ideal for power tool cables.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Definitely

I now loop the coiled flex, and push it into a loop of single core flex. Stops it jumping out of place.

I find the sanding bit compartment just a little too small as well.

That is a plus.

On the whole it's no worse than other tools in that price range.

Reply to
<me9

Just ask on freecycle, if you want a generic box. You might need to cut the interior moulding out.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

By contrast the case for the Fein MultiMaster is excellent, with decent metal latches.

Reply to
AlanD

:-) In my case I almost wish it would fall to pieces.

Reply to
tinnews

Maybe I'm used to posher tools, though I must admit I don't keep any of them in the original boxes now except my old[ish] Stayer SDS drill which came in a simple rectangular metal box with some (not moulded) foam to keep it in place. Very practical and easy to add a few SDS drill bits and other bits and pieces as well.

I keep my two Metabo cordless drills in one of those (very cheap) suitcase type boxes from CPC along with a small box of stainless wood screws and various bits.

Reply to
tinnews

Yes, but the 'true' Velcro ones are extortionately priced in my view. You can get them a lot cheaper from eg. eBay. Not quite as good quality but perfectly adequate IMO.

J^n

Reply to
Jon Nicoll

If you were in this area, you would filter out all Wanted messages from Freecycle/Freegle/Greencycle/whatever.

Some of the requests beggar belief.

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Though if you are DIYer then plastic boxes are probably easier to store on shelves or stack etc.

Reply to
chris French