Plastering onto paint

I've got a brick and block wall in my kitchen, if i paint it now with masonary paint will it be easy to plaster over it in a few months or years?

Or would I be causing problems?

[george]
Reply to
DICEGEORGE

No.

Yes.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

what problems? because brick is porous and paint not? couldnt i PVA over the paint?

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

You might be okay scoring/scratching the painted surface to key the plaster to the brick, but it's probably a lot of extra unnecessary work.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I am not a plasterer, but I've seen underlying paint blister when plastered over. Sometimes the bubbles dry back, sometimes they don't...

Reply to
Steve

PVA is the usual way - check it's sound, if not, wire brush then PVA :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Its the way plasters would "glue and set" a painted artexed ceiling for example. Knock of the highest spots mechanically, roller with PVA, and the plaster onto it while still tacky.

(note this is for a skim coat - might not work so well for a full base coat of plaster!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Wot he said.

Reply to
Mark

IME artex will stick where plaster may not want to (plus it's a lot easier to use)

Reply to
stuart noble

But artex is the spawn of the devil ;-)

Reply to
Mark

Only if you texture it

Reply to
stuart noble

If it's not textured, it's not artex is it?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Artex is the coating material itself, a cross between paint and skim-coat (so it has fillers added to give it "build").

Reply to
Rob Morley

The Artex I've used as a plaster substitute is a powder, not unlike PB joint filler. Speed is the essence of plastering, and I'm extremely slow, so the longer open time is a bonus for me.

Reply to
stuart noble

That's the stuff.

I'm rubbish at plastering, but at a chimney-breast-sized area I've not had a problem with it going off too fast. Perhaps you're braver than me. :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Me too - and for that sort of area, I find you can actually sit around for a coffee between coats.

Now a 4m x 2.4m wall is about the most I can handle single handed - I've just got one on when it's time to wash up, mix and apply the 2nd coat.

Reply to
Tim Watts