Plastering help

I have remove an old airing cupboard from a bedroom. The plaster was not existent. I put plasterboard over, thinking I could then skim on top and make good. Sadly the plasterboard is well below the level of the existing plaster, should I plaster with "undercoat plaster" to the level required, or can I apply finishing plaster to a fair thickness? TIA

Reply to
Broadback

Yes, bonding coat works fine on plasterboard.

Max thickness of one finish coat is going to be around 2mm. I'm not aware of any limit on the number of such coats, but several such coats could get you into cumulative errors in the flatness of the wall, which would make polishing off rather difficult.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Reminds me to ask a question that's been at the back of my mind for a while....

What _is_ the difference between bonding and browning plasters? In what circumstance should each be used?

Reply to
RichardS

In theory, browning is for brick walls. In practice, I think nearly everyone uses bonding coat nowadays, which also contains a glue (as anyone who didn't wash it off their tools before it set will confirm;-). Some places no longer stock browning at all, and I've never used it.

See

Andrew Gabriel

bonding is stronger, another says no difference.

Reply to
John Stumbles

How far under. If >10mm use another sheet of plasterboard then skim, else use bonding coat then skim.

Reply to
Mike