Plasterboard for previous contaminated plaster

I have a wall that was damp and caused contaminated plaster (i.e salts)

Traditionally, the reccomended solution is to replaster (using Thistle Driwall). However I can considering replacing with plasterboard?

What type of plasterboard should I be using? I have googled and found mention of "damp proof" plasterboard, but when looking at the travis perkins website, the range become confusing? Is Gyproc Moisture Resistant the stuff? or should I be using something else? (i.e plaster with driwall, or other plasterboard?)

Reply to
Bob

Moisture resistant plasterboard is moisture resistant, it will not stand constant damp.

If you have constant damp, you need to fix it.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The wall WAS damp, this has been fixed (bridged DPC). Can regular plasterboard be used?? I understood if the wall was plastered (i.e not plasterboard) then regular plaster could not be used on previously contaminated areas and that driwall or similar needed be to used.

Reply to
Bob

The issue is that with plaster, salt and stuff can still leach a bit at normal humidities over time.

With plasterboard, as long as there is an airspace behind it, you are fine, as nothing can leach to the plasterboad.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

However walls are very slow to dry out. If you use distemper rather than emulsion you'll keep the pb/paint barrier porous, which will aid in drying out.

OTOH if youre PBing you might want to add battens and rockwool, which will need a vapour barrier.

Best option is probably remove plaster, let dry a month, add insulation and pb, if you dont already have cavity insulation.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If its been fixed you simply wait for the plaster to dry out, PVA it and paint it.

Or use anything including foil backed board if you must, to cover it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yeah Might take as long as a week indoors this time of year with CH on..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

for the surface maybe, but most walls arent paper thin. Allow about 3 weeks per inch IIRC. If youre plastering before then, porous lets it keep drying.

NT

Reply to
meow2222