plasterboard / drywall - what's the difference?

Please can someone explain to me what the difference is between plasterboard and drywall, if any? I have walls painted with emulsion that have a relatively smooth appearance, would this be drywall or skimmed plasterboard - how can I tell?

Also, I would like to sand the walls before repainting them but want to keep dust to a minimum, would it be okay to use wet 'Wet & Dry' sanding paper, say on the end of a pole sander? If yes, what grit is sufficient for a smooth finish, 180 or 240 - would I notice the difference?

Reply to
newbietothis

No difference. Drywall is american for plasterboard.

Probably skimmed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

And is Gyproc just another name for the same?

Reply to
Alan

It is a brand name, commonly found on UK sourced plasterboard.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle